.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fame...my 19th nervous breakdown! Dark glasses won't do...




Jaded Beverly Hills elite phased by celebrity!



Oh, it is getting a little intense being so recognizable.

On Saturday, I was on my way up Canon Drive to try out a gym, when the oddest thing happened.

It was like a scene out of a movie, actually.

As I approached a handful of outdoor cafes I felt like I was walking a gauntlet.

All eyes of the guests supping at a smattering of outdoor cafes on the tony strip appeared to be on me - and if they weren't - a companion or two would change all that in about two-seconds flat when they whispered under their breath:

"Do you know WHO that is?"

One well-coiffed socialite's jawed dropped just as a fork flew out of her bejewelled hand and clattered onto her lunch plate with such ear-piercing intensity that it silenced everyone within the perimeter for a second or two.

It was kind of like a domino effect!

As I passed a table - a multitude of prying eyes followed me on as I strolled by -  then  the whole phenomenon would start up again at the next table (then the next).

Frankly, in jaded Beverly Hills, I barely expected a glance!

Later, driving down Sunset, I happened to turn and look out the window and ended up eyeball-to-eyeball with a gaggle of tourists in an open tour bus in the next lane half-turned in their seats trying to get a gander up-close and personal.

But, I really felt like a soap star when I was on vacation in San Francisco recently.

Just as I stepped out of Walgreen's, I heard a little to yelp to my left and turned to check out the commotion.

At this juncture - a lady standing on the street with two friends - suddenly threw their hands to her face and gushed in a high-pitched voice.

"Oh my God, it IS him!"

Should I run?

 Were they going to tear my humble threads off of my trim bod?

Unfortunately, some encounters are not so light-hearted or zaney.

The folks who just freeze on the spot when they catch sight of me - and stare - frighten me a little
.
The fellow who stood about twenty feet away - and jotted down  information on my license plate as I was filling my gas tank up at Arco - was a little disconcerting to encounter, for instance.

A stalker - out to locate my address - perhaps?

Some people give me a sly smile as they walk by on the street.

Maybe, they're recalling a funny post that made them laugh?

Speaking of posts, as I sit here at Whole Foods on lunch break -  putting finishing touches on this one - a petite young blond in the next chair keeps get closer and closer.

When I turned the laptop a little to the right to prevent her snooping, she chirped:

"Don't worry. I can't read your screen."

If she gets any closer, she'll be perched in my lap!

Right about now, as my privacy shrinks, I am inclined to offer up some advice.

Take a picture, ask for an autograph, whatever.

Then, move on, please!

Don't stand there in the street looking like you've got a piece of poop in your pants.
 
Or, go slightly off-kilter, as your eyes suddenly glaze over.
 
At that point, I imagine you're just about ready to pull out an axe  and hack me to death.

On a talk show once, Paul Newman laughed about an bizarre encounter with a man in the men's room at a Hotel.

Apparently, Mr. Newman was standing at the urinal taking a whiz, when a fan next to him  asked for his autograph out-of-the-blue.

The charismatic star with the remarkable blue eyes joked that he toyed with the idea of half-turning and peeing on the guy's leg!
 
Clerks in grocery stores and at cafes are the worst!
 
Pretty soon, I am going to have to order online, or starve to death.
 
Too intense!
 
Who was it who once said:
 
"Actors (and public figures) spend a lifetime trying to become famous. When they've acommplished that remarkable feat, they toss on dark sunglasses so people won't know who they are."
 
The nature of the beast, I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment