.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chinese New Year...the Goddess Chang E smiles on me!






In need of a breath of fresh air, I stepped outside late last night - gazed up at the big dipper stretched across the pristine heavens winking at me from above - and proceeded to stroll down the picturesque side street without a care in the world.

Suddenly, a small rabbit - with a fur coat dappled with brown and white patches - hopped and skipped across a lawn and made a bee-line for me.

I slowed to a halt - without any jerky or unexpected body movements - anxious not to frighten the adorable little creature away.

Surely, he was not aware of my presence there in the dark in the shadows of a large shade tree?

Surrisingly, that was not the case in the least.

When I stooped over and outstretched my hand, the little darling hopped right up and sniffed one finger.

For one second, he let me pet him on the nose, ever-so-gently also.

I was mesmerized and caught up in the magical moment.

Meanwhile, the rabbit - who darted about here and there with a noticeable bounce in his hop - stopped sporatically to graze on a bit of foliage now and then.

Then, he was back at  my side nudging up close for a moment or two before contentedly going off to explore the terrain once again.

Imagine how surprised I was - when I  headed  down the street - and the lovable little creature proceeded to stray just behind me.

I'd stroll a few steps, then he would come up from behind - nibble at the grass a  bit - then glance in my direction.

Gosh, I kept saying to myself, I wish I had a carrot or something to give him

If you can believe it, this magical little scenario continued all the way down the block!

At the corner, he finally held back, so I expect he was instinctively aware that he should remain within the safe perimeters of his home.

Where might that be?

Just ask Alice.

Fortunately he had the keen sense to remain behind.

Afer all, I was afraid he might get lost if he followed me too far astray.

Coincidentally, just the other night, I penned a post on the Chinese New Year in which I mentioned an age-old myth handed down throughout the ages from one generation to the next.

Post:  02/16/10

http://ijulian.blogspot.com/2010/02/chinese-new-yeartiger-roars-in-history.html

According to the legend, a Goddess by the name of Chang E was preparing to travel to the moon.

Not wanting to go alone, she took along a pet rabbit.

Allegedly, on the Festival of Lanterns (on the 15th day of New Year celebrations) anyone with a pure heart will see her image (and that of the rabbit) in the moon.

Gosh, only three days into the celebrations, and I am making friends out-of-blue with rabbits in the dead-of-night!

What will unfold next?

Stay tuned for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment