.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Jay Leno..sly devil! Miley Cyrus ambushed on Tonight Show...





 
Miley displays lack of class on occasion!



That Jay Leno is such a sly character!

Once again, I sat back in my cozy Hotel suite in San Francisco, and marvelled at his clever maneuverings.

For the longest time, I surmised that when a guest plunked down on the couch on the Tonight Show, that he just winged it!

No way, Jose!

It struck me this evening, that the King of the late night talk circuit carefully plots his course, and usually ends up at the finish line light years ahead of his unsuspecting guests!

Duh, what just happened?

The dazed look on their faces, says it all.

They've obviously been left in a lurch.

Since late-night chats are filmed live - a guest has to be quick-on-their feet (even nimble of mind) - if they don't want to end up with egg on their face (after blurting out something silly that's bound to haunt their image for years to come).

It doesn't help matters much, unless the guest is a total egomaniac or in love with themself, that in the glare of that spotlight the moment is so intense that it ends up being downright surreal.

Years ago, I just about fell through the studio stage floor during a live interview, when I was posed a question out-of-the-blue that took me totally by surprise.

For example - one day I was invited on the "Vancouver Show" (CKVU) - to discuss my successful career as a male model.

The host was insightful and well-informed - and for the most part - the interview moved along without any hitches.

Then, the interviewer leaned in close without warning, and uttered up a comment that sent  me for a loop.

"Now for the big question," he chuckled with a penetrating gaze into my eyes.

At first, I thought that he was going to ask how much money male models make, if the fashion industry was a lucrative area for men, that sort of thing.

I was clueless!

Then, another sinister thought streaked through my grey matter at lightning speed.

Oh, he's probably going to ask if there is a casting couch, or something scandalous like that (I thought to myself).


Got to think about generating controversy and ratings, folks!

So, when he popped the question he did, I was so taken aback that I panicked at first.

"Are most male models gay," he asked me somewhat pointedly.

I was flabberghasted.

For starters, you have to consider the fact that this interview took place in the eighties.

In those days, questions of a highly sensitive personal nature were normally off-limits.

Interviewers stopped short of going "there".

Today, it is quite a different story, however.

Of course, many will recall that infamous moment on ABC - when Barbara Walters popped the question to Pop Singer Ricky Martin - on one of her ratings-getting TV specials.

"Ricky, are you gay?"

His awkward silence - and refusal to utter up a response - said it all!

Frankly, I never even saw the question coming when Cox posed  it to me, so irrelevant was it to me in my frame of mind during that heady (open-minded) era.

I quickly collected my thoughts and proceeded to point out to the host (Wayne Cox, I believe) that the roles of women and men were rapidly changing in society.

"Women go to work. Men stay at home with the kids."

In essence, I was hinting - that just because a guy pursues a career as a male model - doesn't  mean that he is necessarily "gay".

The response appeared to satisfy his curiosity because he moved on

My friends thought I handled the potentially devastating question with great aplomb.

But later, after I mulled the incident over a bit, I wanted to kick myself.

I should have said something funny!

"I don't know. I haven't slept with them all," might have been one reponse apt to trigger a roar of laughter from the studio audience. 

Who knows!

A bit of levity goes a long way, after all.

For example, when it was learned that Marilyn Monroe posed for nude photos, it was expected that a scandal was going to break out and ruin her career.

But, Marilyn's quick wit saved the day.

"What did you have on when you were being photographed," one pushy reporter quizzed her pointedly as he swooped in for the kill.

"The radio," she giggled without batting a pretty eyelash.

The paparazzi went wild!

Of course, the photos in question were the publicity stills of Marilyn Monroe in-the-buff that were eventually used for the legendary calendar that is a coveted collector's item 'til this day.

When Miley Cyrus dashed out from behind the curtain this evening, it struck me that the young songbird expected to steer the conversation down the path of her choosing.

But, within seconds of alighting in the glare of the spotlight, Jay was probing for material to satisfy his own agenda.

"So, you were on Idol last night," he started off slowly (almost under his breath).

For some inexplicable reason, Miley was inclined to downplay the high-profile appearance on the Fox Network, and gave the impression she wanted to move on.

But, Jay was on the scent of something, so he persisted (much to her surprise).

"I hear you got a standing ovation."

For a fleeting moment, it appeared that Miley was reluctant to go there.

Then, she caved in.

"Yes."

"Was that your first standing ovation?" the affable host quizzed further.

She nodded and whispered something that was inaudible at my end of the old boob tube.

At this juncture, Jay proceeded to broadcast a clip from American Idol.

Was the Pop Star warned in advance?

Judging from her reaction, probably not.

Other information Jay tried to pry out of her was a little slow in bubbling up.

And, on occasion, the responses were downright pat.

She did light up - and relax a little - when the conversation turned to her new boyfriend who stars opposite Miley in her upcoming feature film release.

"We have this scene where we frolic in the water. So I frolic very well apparently, and after that I got to keep him."

Keep him?

Then she got a little goofy.

Miley confieed in Jay that she checked out his parents to see how well they will age in the future.

"He looked good and he's got a full head of hair," she said about her beau's dad.

At this point, the popular chanteuse surmised that the only reason she had any guy friends was because her mother was so hot.

Huh?

Miley's got some kooky ideas floating around inside that pretty little head!

And, all you struggling actors, listen up.

If you want to land a part in Hollywood, be sure to open the door for the leading lady.

If you're to believe Miley, the fact that her studly new date was thoughtful in that regard, landed him the high-profile role sure to launch his career into the stratosphere when the film hits the silver screen.

"I was like, wow, that is super impressive."

I actually turned to the director and said:

 'He's got the job.' He's hot and he opened the door. Excellent."

Does Miley have that much clout in Tinsel Town?

Imagine what kind of booby prize he gets if he ventures farther!

A Ferrari perhaps?

What did I take away from the interview?

Ms. Cyrus is a high-strung strong-willed gal who doesn't like people leading her around by the pretty nose.

Yes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink.

By the way, that squawky speaking voice of hers, drives me up the wall.

It's worse than the sound of nails on a chalkboard?

Ouch!

Part of her "Valley girl" charm, I guess.

Jay, thanks for fathoming up a facet of Miley's personality, which I surmise is  just the tip of the iceberg.

Is Miley a control freak?

You bet!

It may be her undoing!



Miley says it was the "door" that opened her heart!
(I say it was all about "abs")


No comments:

Post a Comment