.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Facebook...tracks log-in sites! Invasion of privacy...






If you're one of those gung-ho dudes anxious to hook up at a popular social hub - and inclined to fudge on your age - it may be wise to jot down the fake year you inputted for practical reasons.

For example, the other day when I started to log-in at Facebook, I was quite startled when a pop-up box notified me of a security alert.

In so many words, Facebook requested that I input my birthday, on the grounds that their server determined I was logging-in from a web site I never used before to access my homepage.

Fortunately, I was honest about my age when I signed up, so there was no problem providing the info in order to pass muster with Facebook's security protocol.

Frankly, though, I was a little put-off by the intrusion.

For starters, it ticked me off to learn that Facebook was monitoring (and storing) log-in checkpoints without my knowledge ('til now).

Notiwthstanding that practice - which I believe is in violation of my right to privacy - I find  the whole process inappropriate for a couple of reasons.

For starters, it was my understanding that the reason I was asked to select an ID and Password when I signed up at Facebook, was to guarantee access once I verified my identity by providing that information.

In addition, the request flew in the face of "logic", if you ask me.

For example, individuals with laptops tend to travel with their computers in tow - and therefore - are inclined to log in at various locations in one city or another where WiFi  services are provided by a myriad of carriers.

Duh!

I can only surmise at this juncture that Facebook must be experiencing some security breaches which have forced the company to be overly protective of their clients and the published home pages and profiles online.

To me, though, it smacks of  overkill.

Facebook is not Fort Knox, after all, just an entertaining place to mix and mingle now and then.

No more, no less.
.
Facebook, don't bother me needlessly.

Or, violate my right to check in from the WiFi location I choose, without scrutiny!



No comments:

Post a Comment