.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

California Earthquakes...4.4 shake-up nothing like Northridge temblor! Force of Nature...








I was tossng and turning in bed this morning when I felt a sudden jolt.

Was it my imagination?

It felt like a giant hand had given my boudoir a gentle shove.

Sure enough, when I jumped in my car and headed over to Starbucks for a piping hot cup of tea, the DJ's on the radio were excitedly gushing over the 4.4. temblor.

"Did 'ya feel it," one radio announcer queried his listeners on air.

"If so, give us a call!"

One woman noted that she felt embarrassed about all the fuss over a quake that registered so low on the richter scale.

"When you consider the quake in Haiti - or the magnitude of the aftershocks in Chile - it's ludicrous."

"Yeah," piped in a popular disc jokey (Valentine).

"If  it's not a five, I don't want to even bother mentioning it on air."

The morning team poked fun at local newsmen  who were making such a big deal about the quiver.

"And now, a waitress from I HOP is here to discuss her experience this morning out in Norwalk," they mocked with wicked delight.

Californias are a pretty rugged lot.

Shortly after I transplated to the West Coast (from Canada) I got used to the phenomenon.

No  problem!

If I wake up now during a three-point-fiver, for example, I just roll over and drift back into dreamland.

Until the Northridge earthquake rolled in, of course!

In a post in the past, I recalled the catastrophic eruption which resulted in numerous deaths and millions of dollars of damage in the well-populated areas where the wrath of mother nature struck.

Post:  04/19/08

http://ijulian.blogspot.com/2008/04/northridge-earthquakea-lesson-to-all.html

Uh-huh.

There's a price to pay for choosing to reside in the lofty climbs of Southern California.

Would we have it any other way?




No comments:

Post a Comment