.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, October 31, 2008

AFI FEST...John Wildman (Publicity Director) screwed up! Meryl Streep walked carpet at "DOUBT" premiere...



Oh, sometimes life is such a laugh riot!

When I first started to deal with the Publicity Department at the AFI FESTIVAL, it struck me they were not on-the-ball.

But, I always endeavour to give people a chance to prove themselves.

So, I remained optimistic.

Shortly after I received the first batch of press contacts, I discovered right away that the staff in John Wildman's office (Director of Publicity) were providing the press with contact information that was not correct.

For example, when I attempted to reach the contact person posted for actor Joaquin Phoenix, I received an e-mail back from the film company that they were not handling any matters pertaining to Phoenix or the AFI FEST.

Communications I zipped off to the reps for Ms. Streep were summarily returned by DAEMON as failed-delivery items.

The contact information staff provided for Streep was incorrect, as well.

That's too bad, because maybe an embarrassing snafu at AFI may have been avoided, in respect to the "DOUBT" premiere last night (October 30th)

For example, Mr. Wildman informed me the afternoon before the red-carpet premiere, that Meryl Streep and Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be no-shows.

Based on the information, I thought I should pen a post to forewarn my readers (& film buffs) - that if they dashed down to the Theatre for a look-see - they may not catch glimpses of either Hoffman or Streep.

Well, as you probably heard, Ms. Streep did traipse down the carpet last night.

So, an irate person zipped off a comment this morning, chastising me for not getting my facts right!

Well, I laughed-out-loud.

Obviously, the woman has difficulty reading and comprehending English.

First, I noted in the blog post that at press time (October 29th) I was informed Streep and Hoffman would be no-shows.

If Mr. Wildman screwed up, and gave out the wrong information, I can't be faulted for that!

Secondly, there is the possibility that Streep, AFI FEST organizers, and the director read my post - and after-the-fact - got their acts together and made last-minute arrangements for Meryl Streep to put in an appearance so there wouldn't be anymore negative publicity.

Curious!

On Wednesday, I was also taken aback with the shoddy headquarters that the publicity department set up on the mezzanine floor in the Roosevelt Hotel.

The room was dark and gloomy, and caused my nose to wrinkle up, there was such a dank smell to it.

A tacky old sheet-like curtain ran along one side of the room dividing it in two.

And, a makeshift table had been thrown together, where press packets poorly-constructed of slip-shod xerox copies, awaited the media.

Not a splashy poster, or promo for any of the movies featured in the ten-day festival, in sight!

Surely, they hadn't decorated yet?

Frankly, I've never seen such a dismal set-up in any of the dozen festivals I've attended over the past year, CineVegas included!

Usually, the Director of Publicity has an inviting lounge - that not only appeals to the artistic sensibilities - but hints at the stature of the scintillating festival offerings that lay ahead to unveil at whim!

So far, the AFI Fest has been a real eye-opener.

The incompetent staff in the PR Dept. (John Wildman included) are a sorry excuse for a liason team with the media.

Well, tomorrow is another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment