.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Burials...separated at Death! Lest we forget...




When I was just a boy, I recall clutching my mother's hand as we strolled through a wide field dotted with a few humble headstones where they lay inscribed all around us marking the graves.

A slight breeze whispered in my ear as I struggled to keep up.

The Cemetery, in the West End of Toronto, was a relatively new burial ground.

There were no grand old oaks, just a handful of young samplings sprouting about here and there, straining towards the nurturing sunlight.

Years later, when I returned after a long stint in California, I was awestruck by the majestic trees that now touched the sky, rooted firmly in the rich soil below.

It was forty years since my last visit.

Unfortunately, I was facing a dilemma.

During a period after my father's death - while my mother lay ill in a Nursing Home - I happened to come across a certificate in her personal belongings (a beautifully-crafted document in ornate script) which confirmed she was to be laid to rest next to my father.

At the time, I recall being quite astounded by the wording.

IDA MAE HOLYOAK and VICTOR GEORGE HOLYOAK to be interned side-by-side "forever".

Gosh, I vividly recall saying to myself, "Forever" is a long time.

Unfortunately, there was a mix-up at the time of my Mother's passing - and as a result - my parents were separated at "death".

I was in California and out-of-touch with distant relatives when my mother - who had been in a vegetative state for about two years due to a stroke - suddenly succumbed and met her maker.

For some inexplicable reason, the certificate for the plot was overlooked, and my poor mother was buried across town miles from her beloved Victor.

Theirs was a great love story.

My mother was a farm girl from Brampton (Ontario) and my Dad was a fiddler who immigrated from Ireland with his mother and three sisters to York County at the turn of the century.

Unfortunately, due to a tragedy, my father passed away when I was a baby - and the troubles descended upon my dear mother shortly thereafter - without mercy.

Today, when I reflect on the situation, it's quite evident to me now.

In due time, I must take it upon myself to set things right.

Until my mother and father are side by side, their souls will never rest in peace!

I pray that they are patient.
*******
A happy man marries the girl that he loves
A happier man loves the girl he marries

Anonymous Author

No comments:

Post a Comment