.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

UCLA...cafeteria worker has cheese for brains! Sign of the times..

To have salmon or not to have salmon, that is the question...



Occasionally, I stop into the cafeteria at UCLA around lunch-time for a snack.

In view of the recent outbreak of a stomach virus at USC, one can't be too careful, so I checked out the offerings for lunch quite carefully.

At one of the server's outlets - there was an example of a lunch-plate special consisting of salmon, potatoes, vegetables, and corn on the cob - on display.

Looked scrumptious!

But, how would it be delivered up "when and if" I chose to order it?

So, I asked the middle-aged woman behind the counter - who usually trolls around the cafeteria early in the morning with a sour pout on her face looking everyone up and down with disdain - if the lunch special would look as good as it did on display when it arrived on my plate.

She plunked a piece of salmon on a plate, then asked me a question.

"Would you like potatoes with that?"

Was I missing something here?

I paused a moment.

"Toast or roll," she continued without batting an eye.

At this juncture, I politely noted that she didn't answer my question.

"No. I didn't," she replied with this dumb look on her face.

So, I waited for the response.

Nothing.

The lights were barely on, but most certainly, no one was at home.

"Aren't you going to answer my question," I politely prodded her.

"Well," she snidely remarked, "It would just be my opinion."

Whoa - Nellie!

God forbid she should be required to offer that up.

Does that cost extra?

Gee Willikers!

Yes, this screw-ball old gal - with the blank stare and burnt out aura - was working on a counter for three or four bucks an hour.

And, for some inexplicable reason, she was under the mistaken impression that she was a philosopher!

Ah, it's a sign of the times.

People are working in jobs they can't stand, displaying the worst attitudes imaginable - and to boot - are taking out their failures in life on the customer.

Give us a break.

If you hate your job, quit.

The world doesn't owe you a living, lady.


No comments:

Post a Comment