.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blogging...Internet opens door to past. Dancin' Don resurfaces...



Many savvy surfers cruise the net to make new connections - in chat rooms, at blog sites, wherever - in the hope of expanding their horizons.

In recent days, I've come to recognize that penning a blog may also open up dusty doors into the past!

This morning, for instance, I was quite startled to find a comment waiting for me where I posted on an old vintage JOHN LENNON interview from CBC TV taped back in the late sixties. (www.julian1st.wordpress.com / October 26)

"I remember you," noted "Newbroom."

"You were Dancin Don. I was there with you. I went to the Rock 'n Roll Festival when John showed up with the Plastic Ono Band. Great memories. Nice blog, too."

Oh my Gosh!

Yes, before I moved to the United States many moons ago (to use an old hippie expression that seems appropriate at this heady moment!) I changed my birth name legally to the one I used on stage.

Before I was "Julian", I was "Don".



When I was teenager I was known for two things basically: wild curly hair and dancing.

And, for being an infamous resident of the legendary Rochdale College.


I was a street performer - and often showed up at major rock concerts around the country - acting out in impromptu skits or dancing in my own inimitable style much to the delight of stoned audiences!

Photographers used to scramble to photograph me; subsequently, I often ended up in the pages of slick glossy magazines and local throw-a-way newspapers (in the Vancouver mainland and metropolitan Toronto areas) in half-naked poses which flaunted ragged blue jeans, naked torso and bare feet.

In one of my favorite "portraits", a photographer caught me mid-flight - with back arched - against the backdrop of Toronto's futuristic City Hall (one of my favorite pieces of architecture).

One one occasion - I became notorious when I attended a rock concert on Baldwin Street - and was summarily arrested in a near riot while dancing on a police car.

A documentary filmmaker (Morley Markson) caught the whole incident on film and it ended up on the National News that evening on CBC TV.

Yes, I was suddenly catapulted into fame!

When I padded into court in barefeet, the police officer on the witness stand testified that I was doing something of a "war dance" (a quote from the Toronto Telegram news report) which prompted loud guffaws from all in attendance and a stern request from the Judge for "order" in the court.

An aggressive young criminal attorney - Clayton Ruby - convinced the Judge that it was actually the police who caused the disturbance.

Case dismissed!

I became a local hero, of sorts.

As a result, people familiar with my first name, referred to me affectionately as "Dancin' Don".

To others, I was simply "The Dancer".

That was a long time ago - so it surprised the heck out of me thirty eight years later - to get an e-mail from a total stranger recalling my former "persona" in the olden golden days!!!

But, that was not a lone occasion for the past to creep into my life of late, due to blog exposure on the world-wide-web.


A few months ago, I wrote a post on "Jackie Curtis" (the Warhol Star) who I became friends with back in 1974 in the "Big Apple" (NYC).

You may recall that Lou Reed wrote a lyric about Jackie in one of his big hits of the day.

"Walk on the Wild Side"

In that hit tune, Lou droned:

"Jackie was just speedin' away. Thought she was James Dean for a day."

Well, a few months after I published the post, I suddenly got an e-mail out-of-the blue from Jimmy Carnicia.

Back in the early seventies (!) I was involved in a provocative stage production - "The Magic Hype" - which was written and directed by Mr. Carnicia.


The zany high-spirited off-beat musical was a spoof on the Andy Warhol characters performed by the well-know local troupe, the "Hot Peaches".

Yes, I was once a "Hot Peach".

No comments, please!


Anyhoo, Jimmy saw the blog post, and contacted me through my e-mail address.

Imagine that, we were out-of-touch for over 34 years!

Wanna know the scary part?

Jimmy recently developed a web site in memory of the "Hot Peaches" - replete with old stills from the live shows - sure to rustle up nostalgic memories for fans of the "Hot Peaches" cast.

Oh my gosh!

He has a shot of "The Magic Hype" production, too.

There I am in tights, a sparkly outfit, wild mane of hair, and tons of make-up.

Gorgeous, dahlink!

Nope, you can never escape the past, and for good reason.

A memory is what is left when something happens and does not completely unhappen.
(Edward de Bono)

God gave us memories that we might have roses in December.
(J.M. Barrie, Courage)

No comments:

Post a Comment