.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Dogs...leash Fido, please! Animal Bites on rise...


A growing number of residents in West Hollywood and Beverly Hills are out-and-about in the neighborhood these days with their dogs in tow.

Some own two or three dogs, which I find excessive.

But, as long as they have the space - and properly care for the animals - it is of no consequence to me.

Unfortunately - for some - it means an encroachment on their space.

Don't get me wrong. I love animals.

Over the years I have owned a few dogs and cats.

When I was a kid, I was fortunate to have been allowed to have a rabbit (Casper), a couple of gold fish, and even a tamed monkey!

Animals apparently have great affection for me, too.

In fact, when I walk down the street, owners are often surprised when their pets strain at their leashes to get up-close and personal with me.

"He never likes anyone," they utter in disbelief.

At UCLA - staff are amazed when they spy a stray cat (who has - til now - maintained a skitzy distance from all of them) stroll up, rub his feline body up and down against my leg, and allow me to pet him affectionately.

Just yesterday morning - as I sauntered by a young fellow exercising three strapping big dogs - the trio of mutts struggled to surge forward so they could lick my hand.

As I passed - and when there was a bit of slack in the leash - one of the dogs managed to lunge forward, jump on top of me, and plant a sloppy kiss on my hand.

Well - they don't call me St. Francis - for no good reason!

So, an incident the other morning, threw me off a tad.

As I bent over to pluck up a magazine from the stall where it was being stored in front of Starbucks, a wiry little dog - a few inches from my hand - wagged his tail and started to move forward as if he wanted to lick my hand.

Just as he was about to nudge his face against my skin - he suddenly barked fiercely - and snapped at me.

The outburst was ferocious enough to startle all the patrons who instantly whirled around in their seats to get a look-see.

Whoa boy!

If that little outburst by Fido was an isolated incident - then maybe it was a warning that the dog (who appeared to be getting on in years) may be "losing it".

If that was not the case, the owner - who was standing a foot or two away - should have pulled the dog back or at least warned me about his erratic behaviour.

After the incident, he didn't even offer up an apology.

Bad doggie etiquette!

That is the problem basically.

Although quite a few dog owners pick up after their pets, they often tend to fall short in meeting their responsibilities in respect to their adorable pets.

For instance, a handful allow their dogs to roam freely without a leash.

Other thoughtless owners, tie 'em up near the front door of a cafe, then pop inside for a quick jolt of java with nary a thought.

Outside, meanwhile - the unattended pet is often lunging at customers, snapping at other dogs, or howling incessantly for his Master.

It is wholly possible that some residents may actually have a fear of dogs, so it appears a tad irresponsible for the dog owners not to consider that fact.

In view of this - some dog owners need to display a little more intelligence - when they tether up their dogs on the street.

Why not curb them a few steps away from the front door out of harm's way?

That would be the smart thing to do.

Duh!

Some are in denial, too.

One woman left her dog on a leash at the entrance of Pavilion's one fine day.

On a handful of occasions - when people exited or entered the store - the dog lurched forward and snarled at them.

Fortunately, the patrons in question, were able to recoil in time to escape a potentially nasty bite.

When the young woman returned to collect her dog, a few of the staff (who often sit outside for a snack on their break) informed her about the vicious attacks on shoppers as they exited the store.

Instead of showing remorse, she got angry.

"He's a sweet dog. He would never do that," she retorted as she untied him and strode off in a huff.

Everyone shook their heads in disbelief!

Just last year, I had one incident that actually traumatized me for about a day or two.

I was walking along the trail on the edge of the Beverly Hills flats - when two women chatting idly amongst themselves - approached me with a dog trotting alongside off his leash.

Just as I was about to pass - the dog shot forward without warning - and bit into a jacket I was carrying in my hand.

As he tugged on the jacket - rather than struggle with the pup - I released the windbreaker from my grasp.

The dog proceeded to shake the jacket violently back and forth - for about thirty seconds - then dropped it to the ground.

I was in a state of shock, literally.

The woman apologized profusely.

Judging from the emotion in her voice, it was obvious she was quite upset by what had transpired.

So, I just waved her off as best I could - and for her sake - told her it was okay and that she should not worry about it.

But, I was a little leery of dogs for a day or two after that incident.

I felt sorry for one woman who was not so lucky.

A dog darted up to her one day, wagged his tail, and attempted to jump up on her.

Her natural reaction was to bend over and stroke his head.

Without warning - he jumped up - and bit her in the face.

She ended up with several stitches and had to wear a large surgical bandage on her face for days.

A survey by the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta ("CDC") concluded that dogs bite more than 4.7 million people annually.

Almost 800,000 bites per year - one out of every 6 - are serious enough to require medical attention. (Weiss HB, Friedman D, Coben JH. Incidence of dog bite injuries treated in emergency departments. JAMA 1998;279:51-53.)

According to a Clifton study, pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes are responsible for 74% of attacks that were included in the study, 68% of the attacks upon children, 82% of the attacks upon adults, 65% of the deaths, and 68% of the maimings.

In more than two-thirds of the cases included in the study, the life-threatening or fatal attack was apparently the first known dangerous behavior by the animal in question.

Clifton has stated:

"If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier or a Rottweiler has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price.

"Pit bulls and Rottweilers are accordingly dogs who not only must be handled with special precautions, but also must be regulated with special requirements appropriate to the risk they may pose to the public and other animals, if they are to be kept at all."

As we all end up in closer quarters, and areas become more populated, it is especially important that residents be mindful of the rights of others and their entitlement to space.

People have right to walk their pets - yes - but those without 'em also have a right to stroll outside freely without being forced to deal with problem dogs.

That is why there are applicable laws are in force.

The issues have been thrashed out by political leaders over the years - and subsequently - proper measures have been taken to ensure the rights of all are observed in the community.

In the analysis, I am not blaming the dogs.

After all, it's not their fault.

It's the fault of dog owners who are irresponsible and derelict in their moral and legal obligations.
Heh, time to curb your selfishness, pet owners.

And, leash your dogs, please!


No comments:

Post a Comment