.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, November 1, 2008

AFI FEST...Publicity Director John Wildman lashes out! The man is off his rocker...



Yesterday, I penned a post noting a couple of screw-ups that occurred this past week at the AFI Film Fest, due to the incompetence and inexperience of John Wildman and his staff in the publicity department.

In particular, I pointed out that information Mr. Wildman provided to me was incorrect, which resulted in a bit of an uproar in the film community.

For example, Wildman informed me personally that Meryl Streep would not be appearing on the red carpet at the Premiere of "DOUBT" slated for screening on October 30th.

Ms. Streep did stroll down the red carpet the next night, in fact.

Subsequently - I was forced to edit a post to explain the snafu to my readers and film buffs - especially in view of the fact that one AFI supporter (unfamiliar with the facts) blamed me for reporting erroneous information.

In addition, I pointed out in the post that Mr. Wildman's staff provided contact information for Ms. Streep and Joaquin Phoenix which was also incorrect.

In a response communication, Mr. Wildman tried to wiggle out of blame.

For example, he noted for the record that AFI updates information and sometimes get it wrong. (okay!)

Instead of resting his case there, he proceeded to snidely remark:

"But, seriously Joaquin Phoenix? Meryl Streep?"

John, I have copies of the e-mails that confirm my allegations to be true.

Some of the issues he addressed related to my comments about his shoddy set-up at the Roosevelt Hotel.

For example, I noted in my post that when I stopped into the publicity director's office at the Roosevelt on Wednesday to pick up my media badge, it was obvious from the poorly-set-up press headquarters that Wildman and his staff were not only inexperienced but incompetent as well.

His reply?

"I'm a publicity director. Not an interior decorator."

I don't expect you to be, John.

An intelligent "boss" in charge of a department such as yours - with an ounce of experience and know-how - would have simply farmed the task out if they weren't capable of putting together a professional presentation themselves.

It's the details, man!

If Mr. Wildman was a mature individual - with a smaller ego and a bigger IQ - he would have fessed up to his shortcomings without any qualms.

After all, it's not very intelligent or productive to ignore the obvious.

Has the man such little self-awareness?

In the communication he zipped off, without much thought or reflection, he even tried to toss the blame on me.

For example, in a condescending manner, he inferred that I didn't know any better.

After all, her asserted, I was "new".

Ha!

As I noted in a response e mail today, I am certainly not new!

If anything, I am getting long in the tooth.

In fact, I have been involved hands-on in show biz and the film industry - in a myriad of capacities - for over thirty years!

I was in front of the camera when Mr. Wildman was still pooping his drawers!

And, his mother was wiping his snotty little nose.

Oh, but Mr. Wildman had so much more to toss into the fray.

He chirped that I didn't know anything about festivals or how they worked!

Because he has handled a couple, he's suddenly the expert, eh?

Well, I had a big guffaw over that one!

I have been attending and reporting on festivals for years!

I not only know how they work, but why they don't, when they don't.

When a Director at a Film Festival is "pig-headed" - doesn't know who key players are in the industry, and allows an overblown sense of self-importance get the better of him - then it's time to call it a day.

Mr. Wildman concluded his little diatribe by lamenting that I must have had a bad day.

On the contrary, my week was smashing!

In closing, he tried to put a muzzle on me and restrict my right to free speech.

He issued a directive that I focus on the filmmakers.

"They are the story. Not me."

Duh!

As I noted in a follow-up, I don't just report on the films and their makers.

On the contrary!

I also pen commentary on the scuttlebutt - on the red carpet, off of it - and behind-the-scenes.

Don't expect me to wax poetic in a phony puff piece to bolster a star's ego, though.

I may be inclined to throw a spotlight on the AFI FEST, however, and what I perceive as a "clubby" elitist organization run by a handful of snobby individuals who are under the mistaken impression that their sh** doesn't stink.

To cast a blind eye all to that would be a ludicrous notion.

Quentin Tarantino once said:

"I don't believe in elitism. I don't think the audience is this dumb person that is lower than me. I am the audience."


No comments:

Post a Comment