.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, July 26, 2010

How I became an Asian woman...by the name of Mrs.Julie Ayrs!







With a flourish of the pen, the sex change was complete!

According to the custodian at the Valley Medical Health Center, an individual perusing my private medical records on the sly, would be under the impression that I am a married woman of a certain age of Oriental persuasion!

With almond-shaped face, stylishly-dressed frame, and porcelain skin?

Too much of a stereotype?

Nonetheless, I laughed heartily when my doctor brought the curious transformation to my attention last night, and I was able to fathom out the odd turn-of-events.

When I initially strode up to the admitting window at the Vegas medical facility for assistance, a fussy female nurse instructed me to fill in the blanks of a standard form which was used for gathering personal information.

"What Nationality are you," the clerk pointedly asked -  as I recalled and entered data = on the flimsy sheet resting on the counter.

"Caucasian," I responded.

The plump little gal paused, stared at me bewildered for a second or two, then jotted down a notation in a scribble.

Shortly after that, I was ushered into the examination room.

The following day, a crusty old intern (Nurse Ratchett from Cuckoo's Nest?) waltzed into the room, glanced at me a second, then proceeded to quiz me.

"Is it Julie?"

Argh!

"No, it's Julian," I corrected her.

"Then you won't mind if I call you Mrs. Ayrs?"

Huh?

Was this little ball of creeping paralysis off-her-rocker or what?

In a bold-faced effort to recover from her misstep, she informed me that all her other patients in the wing were middle-aged women, and that's why the slip-up.

Uh-huh!

I found a clever way to drop out of the absurd conversation - at which point - she shuffled  on.

A day later, I was taken aback when a doctor strolled in and gazed at me quizically.

"What Nationality are you?"

I pointed out that my father was Irish and that my heritage was along those lines.

He beamed from ear-to-ear in response.

"Yeah, I didn't think you were Asian," he joked - as I shook my head - and tried to fathom the meaning of it all.

"It says here on your records that you're Asian."

In retrospect, it appears that the admitting clerk - and the slightly senile Nurse on duty - neglected to input the correct personal information into the Hospital computers.

It's obvious why the medical profession is screwed up!

Should I trust that my prescriptions on file are correct?

News at 11!

(hopefully)



http://www.julianayrs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment