.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Divine Intervention...when the invisible hand of God appears!






Occasionally, there are moments in an individual's life when the daily trials and tribulations are bound to drag the soul down.

But, just when there appears to be no hope, the invisible hand of the Lord appears and sets things right.

For example, the other day I took a jaunt down to a government agency - in an emergency situation - to obtain an important legal document.

About a half-hour-or-so later, after I was deep in a long queue that snaked out the door, it suddenly dawned on me that I might be a few dollars short of a transaction fee in the event a clerk rejected my plastic.

Should I get out of line, dash off to an ATM, and return to the end of the line?

"Have faith," my inner voice whispered.

After a brief stint waiting in the main line, an employee strode up and quizzed me about the nature of visit.

At this point, she plucked up a ticket from a machine nearby, and waved me to a corner on the other side of the facility to wait for my number to be called out.

About sixty individuals were scratching and yawning ahead of me, so I adjusted my mind-set to meet the demands of the long haul ahead.

Sure enough - when I finally slipped into my seat across from the calm, cool, and collected data processor - I was informed there would be a $8.75 processing fee for the permit I was seeking.

Uh-huh.

As I expected, Murhphy's Law chose to rear its ugly head.

Out of all the credit cards and debit cards accepted - wouldn't 'ya know it - mine was on the strictly taboo list!

"I do have some cash on me," I chirped as cheerfully as possible.

"How much," the official asked dryly.

"About $7.00," I responded, as I squirmed in my seat uncomfortably.

My eyes went wide when he motioned to me to hand over the cash, at which point, he reached into his upper left pocket for his wallet.

In about two seconds flat, he slipped a couple of crisp bills out of his elegant billfold, and co-mingled it with my own.

I tried to object, but he silenced me.

Then, something quite inexplicable happened.

As I turned my eyes downward to scoop up  the papers on the desk, I suddenly noticed that two prayer cards had slipped out of my shoulder bag, and fallen face up.

The images of the Virgin Mary and Christ were gazing in my direction bathed in a dazzling white light!

I was stunned for a moment or two.

When I turned back in the direction of the employee, his eyes spoke volumes to me.

The Lord sent me an Angel in my hour of need.

In the scenario that was destined to unfold, what were the odds (or chances) that after a two-hour wait, the computer would randomly assign me to a compassionate individual with a kind and generous spirit?

"I am so fortunate to have been sent to your cubicle," I blurted out almost reverently.

I can recall a handful of incidents I witnessed over the years - where a "by the book" up-tight bureaucrat - wouldn't budge an inch in a similar situation.

As I was about to stroll off with the paperwork, I was taken aback, when he expressed concern about my well-being beyond the confines of the hectic mundane office environment.

"Are you okay?  Will you be able to get back to where you're staying without any problems?"

I just about choked up.

Clearly, the invisible hand of the Lord, was at work.

"Bless you," I found myself uttering up as I bowed my head in respect.

Today, whenever I am  in doubt - or uncertain about the future - I place my faith in God.

He appears in the humblest of places, after all.




No comments:

Post a Comment