.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Prop 8...Californians Against Hate make headway in Utah with Mormons. Boycott with Garff Automotive ends...



A few weeks ago, Ken Karger and Californians Against Hate (a group Karger founded) called for a boycott of Ken Garff Automotive Group at a Salt Lake City news conference, based on a $100,000.00 donation the family matriarch - Katharine Garff - proffered in support of Proposition 8 (ban on gay marriage).

In a follow-up to that meeting - Mr. Karger contacted me on Friday to inform me that the boycott has been terminated - because of the remarkable headway that has been made with the CEO of the Automotive Group, John Garff.

"A reporter there asked me if I would be willing to meet with John Garff. A few hours later, I was in his office. We had a wide-ranging and very productive two-hour meeting," the gay activist noted in his communication to me.

In addition to that "healing" moment, Karger was elated to report that Garff and his father (Robert Garff) later met with National LGBT community leader, Bruce Bastian, as well.

Bastian is also a Utah philanthropist.

The purpose of the second meeting, according to Karger, was to share perspectives and to discuss a variety of issues in an effort to find mutual respect and understanding over the Proposition 8 issue.

Behind closed doors an actual agreement was made that satisfied Bastian.

Although terms of an actual agreement were not released, sources noted to me that Garff officials have agreed to adopt a nondiscrimination policy for gay, lesbian and transgender employees.

Mr. Karger was so pleased with the meeting of hearts & minds that occurred on that momentous occasion that he elected to immediately end the boycott against the Automotive Group immediately.

"Last Friday, I met with Robert and John Garff. I believe that both Robert and John left the meeting with a better understanding of my work, the LGBT community, and the emotional significance of the passing of Proposition 8 to our community. I believe the Garff family now fully understands how sensitive and important this issue is to our community and to their friends and neighbors."

Meanwhile, the Garff's were anxious to express their feelings on the issues on record, as well.

"In response to the Ken Garff Automotive Group boycott that was called for by Californians Against Hate, I met with Fred Karger, its founder. My father, Robert, and I subsequently met with Bruce Bastian, a national LGBT philanthropist with local ties to Utah. I believe we all came away from those meetings with a greater level of mutual respect and understanding."

Karger concluded his heartfelt message to me by noting that as Utah progresses towards an era of equality for all families, he is extremely grateful to the Garff family for listening to the community in which they reside and do business in.

"I look forward to working together towards a better future for all."

Now, If the rest of those much-married Mormons in Utah would hop on board - maybe the rest of the community that is inclined toward getting hitched with one special person - would also have a shot at marital bliss!




No comments:

Post a Comment