.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Julian's Delight...light nutritious treat for lazy days in sun!








At the crack of dawn I sauntered up to the cashier at Pavillions with my Los Angeles Times in hand, just as the clerk started to ring up items for the shopper ahead of me.

The handsome stranger half-turned, smiled, and apologized for having so many items (a whole cart full of delicious-looking groceries).

"If you were here two seconds earlier, you could have gone ahead of me."

"That's okay. I'm a patient man," I chuckled.

After a quick once over, it struck me that the cutie had been out prowling all night in his rugged leather jacket, black jeans, and tres chic t-shirt.

Tweaking? 

Not to be confused with tweeting, of course.

At this point, he plucked up a carton of strawberries and noted that they were on sale for a paltry 99 cents a package.

So, I scurried off, and snapped up a box.

When I returned, he shoved a box of freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies in my direction, and urged me to scoop one up.

What do they say?

Beware of Greeks who bare gifts.

Dreamy, though!

Unlike this guy, who obviously shopped for a week or so in advance, I usually pick up a few items daily for a couple of good reasons.

The food is fresher, and I'll also be able to take advantage of sales that might pop up out-of-the-blue, during the week.

Notwithstanding, the truth of the matter is, I never know day-to-day what I am going to be in the mood to munch on.

When it came time to pay-up, the dude's bill was a staggering $180.00!

And, get this, the sexy stud paid in cash.

Hmmmm.

As he strode off, it suddenly dawned on me that I could rustle up a tasty light snack with the strawberries, something to chomp on in the early afternoon when the sun started to burn off the early morning haze (smog?).

And, I'm going to share the receipe with you!

"Julian's Delight" requires a bowl, yogurt (frozen or plain), strawberries, a can of madarine oranges, one or two kiwi, a banana, and a package of asssorted nuts, walnuts, or almonds.

Right off-the-bat, you should know, I am not keen on measuring.

Not in respect to food, anyway!

Basically, I use my instinct, and toss the items in the bowl with daring aplomb.

Before you start, be sure to have a can of mandarin oranges in the fridge, so the contents are chilled when the dish is ready to be served.

Nothing worse that dried-up warm mandarin fruit, in my opinion!

The first step requires a bit of slicing and dicing.

For example, chop the strawberries, kiwi fruit, banana, and nuts into bite-size pieces.

Pour the yogurt into the bowl first.

Then, ceremoniously add the strawberries, kiwi fruit, and banana selections on top of the yogurt.

Drain the mandarin juice from the can and return it to the refrigertor in a sealed container (use it later for a fruit and/or protein shake).

With a bit of creative flair, position the mandarin slices on top of the contents in the bowl.

Sprinkle on the nut mixture.

Voila!

A tasty nutritious snack that will be easy on the stomach and digestive system.

And, it will also provide a slow-burning energy, sure to get 'ya through the rest of the day.

Bon appetite!



No comments:

Post a Comment