.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Medical problems...early diagnosis & treatment important!




A battery of doctors search for medical treatment!





This past week, I was thrust into a frightening situation that underscored how important it is to have a medical problem properly diagnosed - and promptly  treated, of course - to ensure the ailment is held at bay and under control (if not cured outright).

The sun was lazily beating down from a cloudless pristine blue sky, when I slowed to a halt at the curb at Market Street and Church to obey a red light day-before-yesterday in the Castro District.

When the signal changed, I started to step forward into the crosswalk, when - suddenly without warning - my leg muscles seized up from the knees down to the ankles making it difficult to maneuver.

Imagine trying to trying to walk on limbs made of sticks - without any joints or flexibility to help propel ’ya along - that’s what the terrifying experience was like.

But, the nightmare was far from over.

As I struggled to regain control over my over my lower limbs, I lost my balance.

For the next few minutes, I found myself flailing my arms in the air trying to regain an upright position, so I could quickly limp out-of-harm’s way.

The light had changed - and at this point - I nearly fell backward into an oncoming vehicle turning out of a side street onto Market.

I was in a panic.

Meanwhile, a few passers-by stood a few feet away, staring at me in disbelief.

Did they think I was a sailor who blew-into-town with the fleet - and after a couple of stiff ones - was two  sheets to the wind?

Within about five minutes, the cramping dissipated, and I was right as rain.

But, a terrible pall - deep depression - fell over me.

For the past year, I have suffered these unexpected crippling bouts of muscles cramps - in the feet, and the legs - even the stomach on occasion - without any relief on the horizon.

I have discussed the ailment with a half-a-dozen doctors over the past few months, but none of the physicians have been able to fathom the origins of the sudden attacks which descend on me without mercy at whim.

One doctor speculated I may be low on potassium, so he offered up a prescription, with the aim of resolving the problem.

Nope!

I still wake up in the middle of the night in deep pain.

Often, my hands cramp up, when I am inputting data into my laptop.

The fingers are so gnarled at the start of the episode, that I am unable to complete the task at hand, or even turn off the computer.

Shortly after these violent attacks descend out-of-the-blue - they disappear just as quickly - at which point I plummet into a deep funk unsure about which way to turn.

But, the muscle spasms this week on the street, were the most terrifying  to date.

What's going to happen to me?

I shudder to think!

Is there a doctor on the West Coast familiar with my mystery illness that can properly diagnose and treat my ailment?

I pen and publish this post with optimism.

I pray that it is so.




No comments:

Post a Comment