.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, September 11, 2010

9/11...I missed it! Quiet day of reflection...






I think I must be the only individual in the Western Hemisphere who missed the 9/11 attacks as they unfolded in New York City almost a decade ago!

I was in the garden that fateful day - on a piece of property I owned up North - weeding, planting, and working on drainage - without a care in the world.

Occasionally, I'd take a break out of the hot mid-day sun for a snack and to down a thirst-quencher or two - but then - continued on with the task at hand so I would  make some headway before it was time to shut-down the property for the season before the harsh winter set in.

The reason I was clueless?

There wasn't any radio or TV on my acreage - not even an electrical hook-up - to facilitate either.

So, it wasn't until late in the day - long into the aftermath of the carnage - that I learned of the tragedy from neighbours.

As I sat in my truck playing with the cat - a gentleman from down the road walking his dogs around 5 p.m. (EST) that day - strode up to express his feelings about the unprecedented attacks.

"That was a terrible thing about the Twin Towers in New York, eh?"

Say what?

Then, he proceeded to relay a story about the Financial Center - that was so bizarre and unexpected - that I thought he was pulling my leg.

"It's true. Didn't you hear about it on TV," he stammered, incredulous at the thought.

After all, the world was reeling in shock all around me.

At this juncture, I turned the key in the ignition - the engine roared up - and I dashed off down the old country road lickety-split and into the nearest town.

I checked into a local Motel, switched on the TV, and found myself caught up in the horror.

On every channel, the stunning images floated across the screen, as I sat there speechless long into the night trying to fathom some sense of the madness.

America was at war with terrorists!

And, the war was on home territory.

I shook my head in disbelief - and like so many others - have never been the same since.





No comments:

Post a Comment