.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, August 9, 2008

National Enquirer...Tabloids check facts. DiCaprio & Stone incident proved it to me!





Since the fifties, whenever the names of Tabloid newspapers pop up in a conversation, they conjure up wild images of tales about babies born with three heads, nine-legged aliens that have landed from outer space, whatever!

In recent years - the fodder has tended to be a little tamer - with a big thrust on sex scandals, drug abuse, and corruption in high places.

Like me, you probably expect that when you come across a photo alleging two Hollywood Stars are dating, that the two individuals have never even met; instead, were thrust together in a scandalous clinch by virtue of the skillful hand of a photoshop artist.

Nonetheless - many shoppers at the local supermarket are inclined to give the weeklies a surrepticious glance - before they head out the door with their groceries.

Alhough titillated, many are too embarrassed to be caught dead actually purchasing a dog-eared copy.

For the most part - many Americans are under the distinct impression that - The National Enquirer, The Examiner, and The Star - print up juicy tidbits of salicious gossip without even verifying the facts.

Well, I can attest to the fact that such an allegation would not be true.

A few years ago - I answered an ad in the local newspaper - that was canvassing for talented writers for a "popular" weekly magazine.

When I scheduled the interview, though, I was surprised when I found myself face-to-face with the Editor-in-Chief for one of the top sleaze-bag tabloid newsies in the country.

As one of my favorite characters on "In Living Color" would say,

"I'm not one to gossip, but - "

Although I'm not the type of individual to sort-through dirty laundry, or hang outside sleazy Motels in search of incriminating evidence, I thought - what the heck - I'll give it a shot.

There was one hitch, though.

The Editor requested that I come up with ten story "ideas" before they would sign me on as a regular feature writer.

So, I trundled off in search of a handful of leads from friends and business associates in the industry. God, it was like trying to pull teeth!

One day, I crossed paths with an old friend, and mentioned my dilemma.

"If you hear anything, give me a call."

As it turned out, my gal pal was dating a bartender at a trendy watering hole in Santa Monica. And - her lover noted in passing - that heart-throb Leonardo DiCaprio and Director Oliver Stone were spied huddling in the back room one night snorting cocaine!

When I called up the editor to pass on the tidbit, he demanded the name of the bartender and the exact location of the nightclub.

I put out a call to my friend with a request for the specifics.

At this point, she panicked. Her friend (who happened to be a woman) was antsy about stepping forward. After all, she was a Christian. Also, she was worried about losing her job.

"Well, see if you can get her to change her mind," I urged. "The newspaper will pay well for the tip."

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to me, the tabloid proceeded to contact the Bar behind my back in a scurrilous effort to secure the facts on their own.

Talk about a knife in the back!

Because I let it slip the bartender was a woman - and there was only one female barkeep employed at the establishment - they were able to quickly zero in on her identity.

Then, staff writers proceeded to pester her at work and later at home!

The poor gal freaked out.

Bottom line?

The newspaper wouldn't print the item on DiCaprio and Stone since none of the eyewitnesses were willing to step forward and confirm the facts.

I was surprised as he**.

But, the whole bizarre scenario was reassuring, too.

Until then, I was under the distinct impression the tabloids printed any old piece of gossip unchecked.

Not true!

In light of this, I expect you'll linger a little longer in front of those screaming headlines at the check-out counter, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment