.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Blog...published in foreign languages. How does "Tattler" translate?


Just recently it came to my attention that "The Tattler" is being read in German, Italian, French, Spanish - and possibly - Japanese.

And - who knows - perhaps in a smidgen of computer-speak, too.


So, I have paused to consider whether the blog musings translate well.

Because I am inclined to use a lot of slang in my posts - I wonder - does the stilted prose cause some consternation to newbies overseas?

Then, there are those fu**king fleeting expletives. Is it just an American phenomenon, or do censors across the pond have to deal with naughty words in far-a-way mystical lands like they do in the puritanical States?

I tend towards self-censorship out-of-courtesy to my Christian readers. But, I am curious to know if foreign readers find the asterisks dotting the literary landscape humorous like readers on these shores do. Or, just plain baffling?

As to the windbag material on my blog!

Well, I endeavour to avoid being too local.

As George Bush would say, "I try to be Universal". In appeal, at least.

So, I tend to toss in a few candid shots of celebrities here and there to amuse, then guide the unsuspecting down the garden path as best I know how.

Occasionally, I'll feature a foreign film like - "The Live of Others" - to reveal my strident West Coast intellectual side. Or, report on the celebrity sighting of a respected European actress - like Nastassja Kinski - to butter 'em up a little.

And, if a hearty few manage to maneuver through all the landmines in my prose, there is a definite upside. They'll be privy to a bird's-eye view of the topsy-turvy 2008 Presidential Election Race. A bit skewered, I confess.

But, what good is a blog, if you can't wield your elusive power now and then?

However, now I am facing a new dilemma.

Some posts are garnering "comments" from my fast friends on far shores.

But, frankly my dears, it's all Greek to me.

I am inclined to just "publish" the scribbles without deciphering as a courtesy to web surfers who diligently traversed miles of data from beyond to peruse me.

But, what if the message - unbeknowst to me - flippantly laments:

"Fu** you!"

Is there a universal response that says "same to you" succinctly?

No comments:

Post a Comment