.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Las Vegas...(Bugsy) Siegel Suites (& Spike) good value for budget tourists! True Golfer's paradise...




I was hastily surfing the World-Wide-Web one day for a reasonably-priced Hotel - when I spied a budget room worth taking a gander at - just off the Freemont Street experience in downtown Vegas.

Although the "Gold Spike" wouldn't conjure up inviting images for globe-trotting upscale tourists passing through the desert oasis for a mere day or two, I was inclined to bite, especially since I have often slipped into a a trendy watering hole or two over the years with similar down-to-earth off-beat monikers.

Terrible's, anyone?

So, I booked a four-day stay, for the heck of it.

The Spike was recently renovated by the owners who operate under the business entity of Siegel Suites.

Over the past few months, the Siegel Suites operation purchased a handful of local motels around Vegas proper and transformed the properties into little "gems".

The savvy management team is currently offering up affordable flexible-term lodging (weekly or monthly) for travellers who are budget-conscious, low-key tourists without much "baggage", or relocating in Sin City in search of gainful employment.

A few weeks ago, I sauntered into the Cafe on the first floor to chow down on a bit of grub.

As I waited for the waiter to glide over and take my order, I glanced around the popular eatery for a quick inspection.

Golly!

It was pretty obvious to my keen eye that the contractors (who decorated the interior of the restaurant) were not only capable - but also - possessed a natural flair for subtle elegance.

All in the details, I guess.

The interplay of textures - wood, stone, dry wall - were well-thought out and pleased the senses.

And, the strategic (flattering) lighting - which bounced off the walls softly - was soothing.

As these observations were being digested, an elderly gentleman sidled up to the table next to me.

The old-timer was a resident at the Siegel Suites down the street - and stopped in to make use of a lunch voucher - which was thrown-in as a perk when he committed to a short-term lease agreement.

"What do you think of this place," he softly asked me on the sly.

"Love it," were the first words out of my mouth.

I went on to mention that my background was in Art (& Aesthetics) - and that as a result - the impecable skills of the decorator did not go un-noticed.

The spunky patron noted at this juncture that the "Gold Spike" was owned (and run) by Bugsy Siegel's relatives.

You don't say!

"That's why they did such a great job. If they didn't get it right, it would have been their last one," he joked.

What a laugh riot this guy was.

The first stay at the Spike was quite comfortable, so I booked in a second time a few weeks later.

Now, I was really in for a surprise.

After I wrapped up all the necessary paperwork at the front desk (I booked through Expedia), the clerk discreetly handed me the room key without revealing the number in front of the other Hotel guests.

At this point, I headed upstairs to the 7th floor to settle in for the night.

At first, I was a little shocked when I swung the door open; after all, the suite appeared to be furnished with just a highback couch, coffee table, wide-screen TV, and designer armchair.

I surmised that I was being left to my own devices with a roll-away bed in view of the low-ball discount price I coughed up on this trek to to Nevada.

Suddenly, I spied a doorway on the other side of the Hotel room, beckoning me.

When I strolled over to take a gander, I realized there was also a huge bathroom with full amenities.

But, wait!

On the other side of the spacious bathroom, there was also a smartly-appointed bedroom, replete with two Queen size beds, TV, mini-fridge, and a high-priced stand-up wooden chest to stow away my personal belongings and wardrobe items.

Then, I noticed a sliding door.

OMG!

I was not only ensconced in the Penthouse, but also blessed with a full-size balcony to stretch out on and catch some rays at whim.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic over my good fortune.

That evening, I switched on both television sets and listened to an Andrea Bocelli concert on PBS in stereo,  as I soaked in a relaxing sudsy bath in a deep full-size tub.

The four days were heaven, except for a couple of minor irritations.

For some inexplicable reason, whenever I headed back to the Hotel after a jaunt around the city each day, my room key failed to operate the lock in the door of the suite.

So, I was forced to scramble downstairs to the front desk, to gain access.

I kind-a-felt like "someone" was keeping tabs on my whirlwind "comings & goings" each morning, noon, and night.

Also, electronic wizardry doesn't appear to have found its way to the Siegel properties, just yet.

Unfortunately, there weren't any remote controls for either TV.

At night, if I passed out in bed during the Jay Leno Show (quite often), I would be forced to climb out of my cozy bed half-asleep (get on my hands & knees) and stumble about in the dark for a few minutes until I located the off switch - and thus -  managed to turn off the blaring TV.

A solution to the problem?

Next time I book in there, I plan to pack along a universal remote (clever me).

In the final analysis, a Siegel Suite is a clean, comfortable, cozy respite from it all to alight in for a few lazy sun-drenched days in the desert.

No one's twisting my arm to plug the joint either.

Honest!





A Golfer's Delight!
(just ask Justin Timberlake)

No comments:

Post a Comment