.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

The Grove...adventurous escape from poorly-designed parking structure!






Just when life appears to be simple and uncomplicated - BAM! - out-of-the-blue an unexpected slip-up sends 'ya for a loop!

Today, as I attempted to take a short-cut through the Grove (Fairfax Market), a right-turn landed me in a one-way lane into the parking structure, teaming with a posse of irate drivers pounding on their horns as they tried to navigate the unruly jungle.

Suddenly, I caught site of a turn-off for Valet parking at the  Hotel, so I swerved into that lane so that  the Concierge could wave me on through a magic exit separate from the one with the snarling traffic.

Once I explained my dilemma, the beaming Valet instructed me to just follow the other cars to my left.

Unfortunately, the well-intentioned employee was not familiar with the garage procedures.

About fifty feet down the pavement, I spotted drivers plunking tickets into machine - at which point - the gate majestically opened and let vehicles pass.

But, I didn't have a ticket!

I imagined myself diving up to the machine (which was not manned by a guard), getting stuck in the lane with no conceivable way out, and being forced to face the angst (and mob mentality) of the angry motorists behind me.

On my right, I spotted a lone lane leading back into the parking structure, so I quickly scooted along it back towards the general parking area.

Unfortunately, I was forced to drive all the way to the top floor (a barrier prevented shoppers from exiting on the lower-levels) before I could glide back down to the exit.

With some precision driving, I managed to meander my way back to my original starting point.

"I don't have a ticket," I cried out in frustration to the Valet.

"Just explain to the guard what happened," he instructed.

But, there wasn't anyone manning the gate, I informed him in so many halted words.

"There's a service button on the face of the machine," he pointed out.

I didn't recall ever encountering one in the past at any parking structure - so, of course - I was skeptical.

What the heck, I'd give a shot one more time, after taking a vicodin..

As I slowly approached the exit, one lane was forced to merge because a frustrated man was unable to get through the gate he was parked at.

Uh-huh!

Panic set in.

So, when the gate lifted for the car ahead of me, I threw caution to the wind and decided to make a ballsy move.

I stepped on the gas, and quickly scooted under the arm, just before it crashed down on the roof of my vehicle.

OMG!

Don't try this at home.

Bottom line, I am publishing this post for two good reasons.

The first reason is obvious.

First, to warn shoppers about the poorly-designed parking structure at the Grove that may cause consumers a headache or two if they are not mindful of the glaring problem at the popular shopping center.

And, of course, to go public about the reason why I scooted out without paying.

For good reason.

Because I am so famous (and recognized on site) I expect that - as fate would have it - there was probably at least one motorist in the parking lot who observed the incident, knew who I was, and assumed I fled without coughing up my parking fees.

Not true!

The Valets are my witnesses!

And, how was your weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment