.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, November 9, 2009

A White Rabbit & toy airplanes! Memories of my youth and West Hill...


Artist's rendering of West Hill of yesteryear!



The spitting image of Casper!




At the crack of dawn this morning, I was rudely awakened from a deep slumber, when a dump truck noisily rumbled down the back alley no-holds barred.

I tossed and turned, but shucks, I was unable to slip back into dreamland, even after counting sheep!.

So, I tossed on a wisp or two of clothing over my naked bod - to keep the crisp morning air at bay - then plunked myself down at the curb out-front to reflect a little on life.

As I turned to glance down the empty street edged with the hulking silhouettes of  the parked cars nearby,  I suddenly spied an awesome sight, alright!

There, a couple of feet beyond my perch, a rabbit sporting a mottled coat with stand-out markings, feasted on a delicious morning snack of greens and what-not.

Suddenly, I was transported back in time, where a kaleidescope of  golden memories splintered to life.

Engulfed me!

Then, the image of my boyhood pet, surfaced.

Casper, was a tame (playful) rabbit with twinkling eyes, who once (so long ago) trotted behind me obediently as I carried out my daily chores ever-so-steadfastly.

Such a beauty!

His lustrous coat was as white and as pure as the newly-driven snow!

Yup!

Casper was a joy to behold.

Sadly,  not for long.

On the first day home from summer camp that year, I was alarmed to hear that my precious little bunny - which brought so much warmth and companionship into my sweet youth - had somehow manged to slip off the wire latch of his cage door and skid-daddle off into the wild without so much as a parting glance.



That's what the grown-ups said!

But, you know what?


I seem to recall that a motorized airplane I once received @ christmas - that was inclined to loudly "go whoosh" whenever it raced across the hardwood floor on an amply-charged battery - disappeared into-the-blue without a trace (or survivor) the same way!

Yup!

When parents are afoot - and nursing a demon hang-over - anything is bound to happen, eh?

But, there is one consolation.

A few years later, when I visited the neighborhood for a reunion, one long-time resident let it slip that on many-an-occasion (when the sun was about to be swallowed up at dusk by a grove of grand old evergreen trees at the edge of the property) he witnessed a giant white rabbit gingerly step out of the forest for a secondor two, take a gander at my old digs at  7 West Hill Drive, then hop off.

Casper!






Old Military Road
(childhood haunt)


No comments:

Post a Comment