.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas gifts...burglars have their eye on garbage piled in streets for hints!


I was strolling down a busy Vegas Street on boxing day when I spied a jumble of empty boxes adorned with enticing product images of pricey toys once-packed inside - eye-catching promos for top-of-the-line wide-screen TVs, jazzy state-of-the-art designer cell phones, pricey leading edge DVD players - you name it.

Ah, Santa was generous to this family - in spite of a troubled economy in recent months - I thought to myself.

Later in the day, on the heels of a couple of burglaries in Las Vegas neighborhoods, A news anchor at a local TV outlet, issued a warning to residents about engaging in the careless practice I witnessed bright and early that morning.

After all, burglars are inclined to get hip to the obvious.

If an empty box sits in the street waiting for the garbage man to pluck it up to cart away to the city dump, the precious gifts advertised on their face, are just a hop-and-a-skip away inside the house waiting to be scooped up, too!

"It's best to break down the boxes or cut them into small sections. Then, place the cardboard pieces into plastic wrapping bags and garbage bins away from the prying eyes of thieves out on the prowl," one consumer advocate recommended.

On that note, I should also like to point out that it is also a no-no to drop off packages in the front or back seat of the car under the assumption they are "safe", while you head off for a snack with pals or to finish last-minute shopping.

For good reason.

Crafty thieves cruise parking lots for items of value waving in plain view - then, once discovered - break in without remorse and snatch up the spoils of the expensive shopping spree.

But, possessions need not be brand spanking new to prompt a theft.

A case in point.

The other evening I was heading home after a night clubbing, when I noticed a young man sporting a hooded jacket, probing the front seat of my vehicle with a flashlight.

As I hastily approached on foot, he darted off down an alley.

Curious, I ran up to my car to fathom why he was shaking down my property.

Merde!

Earlier that day, I was practising tunes on my keyboard.

After the painstaking finger exercies, I carelessly left the instrument in sight in the front seat, as I headed off for some Christmas cheer with chums.

Clearly, if I arrived a few seconds later, that young opportunist with the watchful eye would have broken in and made off with my cherished musical sidekick.

In addition to that loss, there may have been a broken lock or a damaged alarm system to repair - or worse yet - a need to replace a costly side window!

Bottom line?

It's best not to "tempt" a criminal.

Store gifts, shopping bags and items of value out of harm's way - or a least out of sight in the trunk if you don't lock your vehicle - so you won't have to deal with this kind of downer during the festive season.

By the way, Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment