.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

West Hollywood...humping in the streets!

What the?


I was driving up Edinburgh Street when I noticed something odd on the pavement ahead.

Just a few feet before an elevation in the road - a sign etched in the pavement in dazzling white bold-faced lettering - caught my eye.

Hump

Say what?

Maybe, I'd better grab my glasses - I thought to myself - as I scrutinized the road a little more carefully ahead.

Surely - the warning notice said bump - right?

Since time immemorial - after all - calculated rises in the road specifically designed to slow traffic (and in some cases tear out floorboards of those who bottom out after maintaining high speed) have been labelled (quite succinctly, I might add) bumps.

Since the days of my youth, in fact.

Perhaps some city worker was high on Tina after a night of humping at Flex - and quite by accident - etched the jarring off-beat word on the pavement by mistake?

Guys, it's a piece of cake.

Just paint over the faded lettering after vehicle traffic has crushed it into oblivion over time.

No need to reinvent a designated bump sign.

Or, maybe it's the fault of those anal-retentive Councilman over at City Hall?

Don't they have better things to do than sit around twiddling their di**s - trying to fathom a new-fangled way to unveil a bump in the road - that's okey-dokey just the way it is?

Surely, you've heard the old expression, fellas.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

What's next?

Pink caution signs at crosswalks?

As I cruised around the neighborhood, things got curiouser and curiouser.

Ah, lookie there!

A street sign warned about a safety hump ahead.

Yes, don't forget your rubbers when humping, motorists!

Another (a scant mile on) indicated there was a speed hump just down-a-ways.

For quickies on lunch break, I expect?

Now, I spied a twist to the whole hump scenario.

Indeed, now I was being enlightened about a dip, on the horizon.

I suppose a dip is the opposite of a hump?.

That's when you don't go in all the way, but just sort-of test the waters a bit?



Signs underscore the ongoing lunacy in sign erection these days

No comments:

Post a Comment