.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Earthquake update...5.8 magnitude shaker centered near Chino Hills!

Devastating effects of Northridge Earthquake!


News reports are now filtering in.

The earthquake that struck at approximately 11:43 a.m. has been determined to be a preliminary magnitude of 5.8.

At my location in Beverly Hills, the shaking was quite violent.

When the tumbler hit, I was in the public library surrounded by a number of frightened patrons at the public facility.

I guess people were perplexed about what to do, at first.

When the shaking did not subside in a second or two (but grew in magnitude instead) and persisted in jolting the building violently - many let out little cries - then darted out the front door with the assistance of the capable library staff.

I struggled to pop off a news flash onto the Internet, but within seconds, my hands were shaking so much that I was having trouble typing on the keyboard.

According to online news reports, the quake shook buildings in downtown Los Angeles and was felt as far south as San Diego and as far east as Palm Desert.

"The quake was centered near Chino Hills," noted one spokesperson at the United States Geological Survey.

In spite of that, Los Angeles was seriously impacted.

Construction workers walked off a site concerned about safety and their well-being.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was inclined to activated the "Office of Emergency Services" when he learned about the width and breadth of it.

As of 12:45 p.m, there have not been any reports of injuries.

But, the Stanley Mosk Courthouse on Grand Avenue was evacuated as a precautionary measure. Security officials said they expect the building to reopen early this afternoon.

The Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors were in a closed session at the time of the earthquake but did not suspend their meeting apparently. Hopefully, they were all under their desks out of harm's way.

The quake interrupted a City Council meeting. Undoubtedly, when the 27-story City Hall building began to sway, officials realized the urgency of taking cover.

Apparently Councilman Zine cried out, "Earthquake! Earthquake".

Another quipped, "It's still happening".

I know the feeling.

At the library, where I was returning books, people were paralyzed with fear - unable to take action - so shocked were they by the powerful momentum of it.

Believe it or not, Orange County also rocked 'n rolled.

"It's the first time in my life I actually got under my desk," said Anaheim Police Sgt. Ken Seymour, who has lived in Southern California his whole life.

"It's too early to tell if there's any major damage but all units are checking overpasses, bridges and tall buildings," he said.

The last occasion I felt so awestruck by the force of an Earthquake was when the Northridge Earthquake struck in 1994.

At about four o'clock in the morning, I suddenly felt a large jolt against the side of the building.

What was that?

Then, the bed shook violently, as dishes rattled and floorboards creaked.

Earthquake!

Normally, we're such a jaded lot here on the West Coast. After all, a new year barely flutters by without a little earth rattling now and then. Normally, Californians just roll over and slip back into dreamland.

But, on the Richter scale, this one was a staggering 6.8.

I was renting an apartment in a New-York-style walk up fashioned in old rugged bricks.

No retrofit, of course.

So, of course, when the tumbler "hit", it felt like an airplane had smashed into the five-storey building. Yes, there was a lot of creaking and groaning goin' on, as the foundations seemed to give way.

As I peered out the window, the lights around Los Angeles systematically shut down - in what amounted to a domino effect - as far as the eye could see.

I scrambled out of bed naked - yes I slumber in the nude - but had difficulty getting my bearings in the pitch black that had fallen all around. As I searched for my pants and my keys and a flashlight - it suddenly dawned on me why it is often hammered into residents to be earthquake prepared.

The next time (!) I'll have a handy little kit packed away in a safe place primed and ready-to-go - with candles, matches, flashlight, and emergency water - you name it!

When I managed to locate a few stitches of clothing, I stumbled to the door - but a sturdy oak bookcase and a number of leafy plants which had smashed to the floor - were blocking the exit. After a few minutes, I managed to squeeze my way through into the pitch black hallway.

Not a soul in site.

To make matters worse, the emergency doors had sprung shut and the elevators had automatically shut down.

I headed for the back stairwell barefoot and cried out in pain when sharp edges of broken plaster bit into my flesh.

Throughout the ordeal, I did not encounter anyone.

When I stepped out into the street - people were huddled in near hysteria on the sidewalk - scantily-clad in skimpy nighties, boxers, and the like. A couple of neighbors were frantically listening to the radio for an update on the quake.

The newscasters were reporting that Los Angeles was hit by a devastating quake centered in Northridge.

At this point, I realized my "lovebirds" had been left behind upstairs. Against protests from acquaintances, I dashed back into the crumbling building to rescue them from their perch in the kitchen.

Later that morning - we were notified by the Manager that the dwelling was red-tagged - unsafe to inhabit. All the tenants were forced to seek emergency shelter or turn to family and friends for assistance.

Northridge itself was shattered by the event.

Three-story buildings were turned into pancakes, freeway bridges were downed, and there were - of course - a number of deaths.


Down the street in Hollywood proper, as I sauntered into a local cafe for a coffee, ubiquitous armed guards stood at the entrance to retail stores to prevent further looting which had been earlier curbed.

I felt like I was in Beirut or some war-torn place like that.

In the final analysis, Earthquakes are part 'n parcel of life in California.

Is the "big one" on the way?

You bet your sweet bippy...

'Til then, we continue on our merry way.

Shaken, but not stirred!

Note


The Federal Emergency Agency recommends that if you're indoors when a quake hits, you should take cover under a sturdy piece of furniture, cover your face, and stay away from glass and walls. If outdoors when the earth shifts, move away from buildings and streetlights and stay in an open space until the shaking stops. And, don't forget about potential aftershocks!



http://www.julianayrs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment