.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, July 17, 2008

My first fan...five-year-old tot!









After years of procrastinating, I finally got off my butt, and purchased a keyboard.

Although I come from a family of musicians - until now - I've neglected to pick up an instrument and follow the family tradition.

My father taught violin during the day - and at night - got down in legendary "Hogs Hollow" in Toronto with a popular band known as the "Jolly Millers". I understand that "Victor" also played on stage with Don Messer (one of Canada's most famous fiddlers) who had a highly-rated TV show on CBC back in the fifties.

My Aunt - Evelyn Holyoak Braithwaite - was a little more high brow. She performed "Rob Roy" at the Royal Alexandria Theatre in Toronto and was well-received across Canada when she appeared in concert through the auspices of Ward Buchner Tours.

While I do sing, I never plucked up an instrument previously (except for a few weeks last year when I dedicated myself to a round of strenuous piano lessons).

After I made my auspicious purchase yesterday, I plunked down on a park bench, and began to toy with "ODE TO JOY" and an inspirational Hymn, "AMAZING GRACE".

To limber up, I ran a few scales, too.

A young father happened along with a young tot about four or five years old.

As soon as the notes hit the air, her eyes went wide and she ventured forth, amazed by the sounds that were tripping trillingly off the keyboard like magic.

Fancy that, my first fan!

An elderly woman (about eighty or so) stopped for a moment to listen thoughtfully, too.

Meanwhile, bright and early this morning - at a fountain in the park - joggers and strollers alike gave me the nod as I worked on a rendition of "LEAN ON ME".

Maybe I have a career in music, after all. In spite of the fact I am a little long in the - um - tooth!

Now, if I could get a handle on "Les Barricades Mystérieuses".

Well, if you're ever out for a stroll one starry night, and 'ya hear some haunting music emanating from beneath a bridge, well - that's undoubtedly me - playing my little heart out!

If I ever make it to the Hollywood Bowl - you're all invited - 'fer sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment