.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Spanish...language creeps into the American mainstream @ CVS! Si...




On the heels of tabulating the goodies I snapped up at CVS the other morning, a perky cashier instructed me to input my pin on the ATM machine, select the cash-back option, and what-have-you.

Shortly after I keyed in my ultra-secret 4 digit code in a clandestine fashion, the ATM machine continued on, and screamed out a second personal directive to me from the miniature screen resting at my nimble fingertips below.

"Do you want cash back?"

When I scrutinized the response options offered up, I was slightly taken aback.

There should have been two entries to choose from, right?

"Yes" or "No".

I suppose I'd better put my specs on, I muttered to myself.

If I was not mistaken, there appeared to be 3 (!) distinct choices staring smack dab at me!

Uh-huh!

And, what was the 3rd word etched in line right below the "yes" option.

Si!

I hesitated.

I mean, what the heck?

Was this a prankster's idea of an off-the-wall joke?

Or - the first "baby step" towards surreptitiously introducing "Spanish" as a "second" language - into the mainstream around the country?

Suddenly, a quote from William Drayton sprang to mind:

"Change starts when someone sees the next step."


No comments:

Post a Comment