.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Karaoke VIP Party...in Silverlake! Hot singers & upbeat nightclub ambiance...


A few years ago, when I shared a two-bedroom apartment at the top of Larrabee Street in WeHo with friends, I often slipped into "Revolver" (a trendy nightclub on the corner) to get up-close-and-personal - and likewise fathom the secrets of - the torch singers who turned out each week to belt out their signature tunes.

Although an aspiring singer, I was relegated to exclusive engagements in the shower, because of numbing stage fright that flooded over me whenever I tried my darndest to warble a note or two in front of a rapt audience.

"At long last, here was a golden opportunity to test the waters," I elatedly gushed to myself one booze-laden night.

After all, it did not escape my watchful eye, that this circle of wet-behind-the-ears stage performers were not inclined to be that critical of phrasing, projection, or vocal style.

In fact, die-hard music-lovers here, regularly cheered "the competition" on.

Say, if they had the ba**s to get up in spotlight two-sheets to-the-wind, why not moi?

So, one auspicious night, I downed a potent cocktail and waited for the worst.

When the affable Karaoke host (Kenny Morse) sang out my name, I surprised the heck out of myself, when I scrambled up and took center stage in the glare of the blinding spotlight.

A hush fell over the room as the first strains of the popular ballad I chose floated out from the speakers, and I slowly began to sing out the first few words of the fifties hit which appeared overhead on a wide screen.

"They ask me how I knew, my true love was true."

"Oh!"

The crowd went wild for a second or two - at which point - they excitedly turned this way 'n that - and praise the Lord - nodded in approval to each friend or stranger seated nearby.

Moreover, when each exquisite note soared through the smoke-filled lounge thereafter - and hit its golden mark - it was obvious from their stunned silence that I held them in the palm of my out-stretched hand.

Ah, it was a snap to perform on stage after that.

Hence, I became a mainstay for weeks on end.

In fact, in those heady days, the little Karaoke Night that "could" - not only attracted a slew of top-notch singers anxious to strut their stuff on stage - but a bevy of celebrities not put off by the notion of having to queue up in a long line snaking down the street to gain entrance.

They lapped it up!

Actually, one night I met celebrated songwriter - Allan Rich - at the local hot-spot.

Talented, down-to-earth guy!

When I asked Allan how he got started in the business, he laughed, as his memory drifted back to an auspicious day many moons ago when he - sort-of - got discovered.

"I was a shoe salesman," he started off slowly.

One day, when he was assisting a gentleman try on - a pair of loafers, running shoes, what-have-you - the outgoing customer innocently asked Rich what he intended to "do" in the future for a full-fledged career.

So, the perky shoe-horn facilitator noted off-the-cuff, that he pined to pen pop tunes.

As luck would have it, the stranger happened to be an exec at a record company.

Imagine that!

Without skipping a beat, he flipped out his wallet, and handed startled Rich a business card.

"When you have a tape of your songs, send them along."

Then, he turned on his new heel, and left.

Down the road, when Rich managed to put together a demo tape, he fired it off post-haste to the stranger.

Months passed, but no cigar, as they say.

Then, one day out-of-the-blue, he got a call from the gentleman who was the harbinger of remarkable news.

Guess what?

The record company loved his material.

Not only that, the "suits" at the record company also thought it the perfect roster of songs for Whitney Houston's new feature film "The Bodyguard".

Holy Mack!

Needless to say, Allan has never looked back since.

One of the songs featured from the songbook- "I want to run to you" - is still a favorite pop tune of mine that I intend to record one day, too.

Sadly, "Revolver" closed its doors and Karaoke has never been quite the same.

Even still, not abandoned by a long shot.

Kenny Karaoke, for example, has continued to carry the torch each week at local clubs for fans still nostalgic for the "craze".

And now, there is good news!

Kenny is hosting a - "KARAOKE WITH KENNY VIP PARTY" - at one of the trendy watering holes in Silver Lake (MJ's) Monday July 6th.

In fact, the effervescent MC is raving about the dazzling up-coming must-attend event!

"The show is very much like our old REVOLVER show with a great bar, great drinks, great attitude, great sound, and great singers."

Just, great!

Count moi in, eh?

Kenny asked that I get the word out to his friends - and "Revolver" Karaoke fans - that he has a big treat for them, too.

If they don't already have an MJ VIP card, all they have to do is zip off an e-mail to the Karaoke Mesiter, and he'll ceremoniously jot down their name on the VIP lis at the door which translates to not only walk-in privileges but access to - exotic cocktails, beer, and what-have-you - at an OPEN bar.

MJ's Monday Night Bash is open to all, though.

So, if you're in the mood to listen to a Diva or two, hustle on over to the popular night spot for a round of Karaoke that will vastly entertain the whole night thru.

Revolver

http://www.julianayrs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment