.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Michael Jackson...OD on prescription drugs? I relate to merry-go-round...


When the media roared up to UCLA Medical Center with paparazzi in tow on that fateful day last week when it was announced that Michael Jackson did not respond to CPR efforts - and he consequently succumbed to cardiac arrest - there wasn't much speculation about the cause of the Pop Icon's untimely death.

Personally, it never occurred to me that Jackson was ever an a "drug user" - or abuser - for that matter.

For starters, the talented musician appeared to be obsessively focused on his appearance; therefore, the vain over-the-top efforts to transform his face into that of a handsome young white man were first and foremost in most people's minds.

Notwithstanding, Jackson was a well-informed individual, who was keenly aware that the ravages of alcohol and/or drugs would take their toll on his "looks" over time.

In retrospect, I would have to surmise that three major events in his life may have sent him down the path to his unexpected demise last week.

If you recall, years ago Michael was seriously injured when a special effects stunt went awry and set the Pop Icon on fire.

Apparently, he was in a lot of pain after that incident.

Understandably, he may have used painkillers and other potent drugs to alleviate that problem, and got "hooked".

After that hiccup in his dizzying jet-set lifestyle, Michael was later accused of child molestation - at which point - he was subjected to public scrutiny and scorn (for the first time in the glare of the spotlight), humiliating physical examinations by the LAPD, and intense mental and emotional distress when he was forced to go into a sort-of self-exile for a short period until the worst of the storm passed.

In recent years, bad luck - in the form of financial woes, pending lawsuits, and unexpected falling from Grace with a fickle public, may have pushed a few hyper-sensitive buttons in his troubled psyche and pushed him over the edge.

In that event, doctors may have prescribed sedatives so he could relax - and ultimately - cope with the growing pressures of his personal and professional life spinning out-of-control.

In the event of insomnia - or a sleep disorder - there may have been more heavy-duty drugs prescribed to alleviate the problem.

In today's paper, it was reported - for instance - that a drug that is used primarily as an anesthetic (and not available to the general public) was found in Jackson's house shortly after his death last week.

In particular, there were numerous bottles of "Diprivan", which is normally dispensed by an individual trained to administer anesthesia.

Typically, it's used in hospitals.

An expert in the field - Ethan Bryson - noted for the record:

"It's a very dangerous drug if self-administered or administered by someone not trained in airway management and cardiac life support. You need to have someone who knows what they are doing to administer it."

In the Jackson scenario, the obvious question is this then.

How long after the drug is administered improperly - or in too large a dose - would it take for the individual to go into cardiac arrest?

The answer to that question may be the key to fathoming whether the death occurred by Michael's "own hand" or due to mistake and/or misadventure.

After all, if no one else was in the house when Michael went into cardiac arrest, he must have been the one to provide the lethal does.

Right?

On the other hand - if there were others present in the tony estate that fateful day - and none were medical professionals qualified to administer the drug - an accusing finger would have to point in their direction.

Wouldn't it?

Until those issues are resolved, I don't expect I'll speculate any further.

However, when a newspaper reporert noted that drugs like Diprivan may be prescribed for sleep problems, it struck a chord in me.

A few weeks ago, I disclosed in one of my posts that I was recently diagnosed with a sleeping disorder which was causing me a number of difficulties.

For instance, at night I found it difficult to sleep or get a good night's rest.

During the day, consequently, I often fell asleep while sitting in a restaurant shortly after I plunked into a deep easy chair to relax and sip on a cup of hot tea - and once, if you can believe it - while at the wheel of my car driving down the highway mid-day!

After a number of tests were taken (by virtue of an overnight stay at a clinic where they monitored my sleep patterns and frequency of rem cycles) it was determined that I was being plagued by a sleep disorder (possibly Narcolepsy) which needed treatment.

So, my doctor prescribed a "stimulant" to ingest early in the morning to get me through the day, and a sedative to help me drift off into dreamland at dusk.

I recall the first day I took the pill designed to keep me "focused" and alert.

About two hours after I swallowed the "medicine", my heart started to palpitate furiously.

In addition, I became intensely aware of my surroundings.

In fact, at times, my surroundings appeared to be a bit surreal and intense.

A short while later, I caught myself "smacking" my lips and grinding my teeth a bit.

Suddenly, I realized that the stimulant prescribed for my condition was some form of "meth" or speed.

Albeit, a legally-prescribed one!

Because I have written posts about such addictions in the West Hollywood community in the recent past, it was evident to me - that if was not careful - I may end up heading down that unpredictable (dangerous) path, too.

I took a reality check.

Obviously, I would have to monitor myself over time to ensure my firm grasp on things did not "slip" away from me when I was unawares - and ultimately - lead me to a dependence on the drugs.

So, the next day, I broke the pill in two and consumed only half.

Even still, by the end of the day, I was forced to gobble down the sleep aid to relax me.

I was buzzie, felt wide-eyed and drained, and my body was aching and crying out for sleep.

Fortunately, though, I was intelligent enough to figure it out.

If I'm not careful, I may end up on an endless merry-go-round of uppers-and-downers - and eventually - lose control.

But, there were worse concerns on my mind that the physical ups-and-downs.

Within a few days I began to experience moments of euphoria.

Then - a few minutes later - I might into a bit of a depression, without knowing why.

Mood swings, uh-huh!

As the Michael Jackson story started to focus on possible drug abuse last week, it dawned on me then, that perhaps this was how the pop icon got caught up in the downward spiral he may have fallen victim to.

We'll have to wait until the Jury is in to know for sure.

When you consider that some of the drugs seized at the Holmby Hills mansion were written for Michael Jackson in multiple "pseudonyms" (aliases, which were slight variations on the correct spelling of his name) it is easy to understand why eyebrows have been raised and a full-scale investigation is underway.

Were his doctors engaging in a deceitful bold-faced effort to conceal his identity (and the illegal distribution of prescription drugs) from the authorities or the prying eyes of the press?

Today, another thought occurred to me.

A person with a terminal illness might have to administer painkillers on their own in the event there was a sudden seizure or bout of uncontrollable pain which required immediate medical attention to bring relief to the patient.

In the event a doctor was not on hand to administer the drug in a professional capacity, wouldn't the individual suffering from the ailment - or a close friend or associate - have to take up the task then?

Is it possible Michael Jackson had a serious illness he did not want to disclose to the public?

News at 11!




http://www.julianayrs.com


No comments:

Post a Comment