.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Michael Maron...rip-off make-over magic! Failure to give credit unprofessional...



A few years ago, when I was pounding the pavement as an actor, I crossed paths with photographer Michael Maron who was eeking out a living shooting head shots.

In addition to the shutter-bugging, Michael also provided a make-up session prior to the shoot, to ensure the photographs turned out slick and professional-looking.

I was a fashion journalist reporting on various aspects of the industry during that time frame, which was of particular interest to Michael, for good reason. (Southam News)

The clever snake-oil-salesman just hit on the idea to publish a book of "before" and "after" shots of his clientele to underscore the importance of a good make-over in the overall scheme of things.

One night at dinner in a trendy cafe in picturesque Silver Lake, Maron noted off-the-cuff that if there was any material I thought might complement his publication, that I should send it along.

I gave the matter some thought over the next few days, then proceeded to pen several tips on how to dress according to "body type", which factored well into Maron's project.

With little ado, I fired off the material, by certified mail.

In bold print - on the first page of the submission - I noted that use of material would require a credit to the author, Julian Ayrs.

Almost a year later, Michael informed me casually on the telephone one day that the labor of love was published and in bookstores around the country.

Funny that!

Michael didn't offer me a copy in spite of the fact I provided material for the publication.

So, I dashed off to a retail outlet, and inquired about the make-over book.

Shortly after I located the slick-looking coffee-table offering, I began to flip between the covers in search of my contribution.

I was flattered when I came across a whole chapter devoted to the subject matter I painfully complied and graciously submitted to be included in the novelty publication.

However, I was flabbergasted (and disheartened) to discover minutes later, that I had not been credited for my contribution.

I scoured the glossy pages up-and-down - even digested a glowing introduction written by Maron's good buddy, Carol Burnett - but no mention of moi!

In fact, I was not even mentioned in the opening leaves of the tome, where Michael elected to single out and give thanks to family, friends, and business associates he deemed worthy of a nod.

Argh!

Not one whisper of me - or my contribution to "Make-Over Magic" - nada!

So, I fired off a letter to the Publisher and brought the matter to his attention.

Was it an oversight, per chance?

Shortly after that ballsy move, the telephone rang off the hook one day as I puttered about.

When I plucked up the receiver, Michael's voice was crackling on the end of the line.

"I can't believe you contacted my publisher," he fumed in disbelief.

Well, he used my material without giving credit as promised, so what else was I to do?

"Michael if you were passing off material as your own, the publisher should be aware of it."

He grunted on the other end of the phone - obviously infuriated - then hung up.

I was advised later that I would receive a credit in the 2nd Edition of the book.

So, when it hit the shelves, I scurried down to the bookstore to gloat over my credit.

Not so fast, Julian!

Once again, no credit was cited for the material where it appeared in the publication.

Instead, Michael chose to publish my name in a long list of contributors he gave thanks to on page one or two of the popular make-over book.

In the final analysis, I suspect that Michael was unwilling (and too embarrassed) to admit that he didn't write key material (at the heart of the book) which he previously - by virtue of lack of admission - was passing off as his own.

What a rotten son-of-a-bit**, eh?

Frankly, I take the position today that if Michael Maron has any ethical standards at all - even one ounce of integrity or morality, for that matter - that he'll consider coughing up a percentage of the profits culled to this date.

After all, my hefty material contributed to the book's success.

Fair is fair, right?

Something tells me it will be a cold day in he** before that ever happens, though.

Well, 'ya live and 'ya learn, eh?

By the way, I re-titled the book.

Michael Maron's rip-off Make-Over Magic!

Nuff said!



No comments:

Post a Comment