.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

AFI Dallas...Henry Selick honored with the Texas Avery Animation Award!



Tonight, animator Henry Selick will be presented with the orestigious Texas Avery Aviation Award at the Nasher Sculpture Center in Dallas.

Selick was the director, production designer and screenplay adapter for Coraline, the first stop-motion animated feature film every produced in stereoscopic 3-D.

Last night, Mr. Selick trotted down the red carpet at the NorthPark Mall, with one of a toy "model" of Coraline in tow, replete with movable joints.

The respected animation expert was in high spirits!

I asked Mr. Selick when he first became aware that he was interested in this creative field.

"I used to draw in my room for hours; so much so, that my parents thought there was something wrong with me. They thought I should be out playing with the other kids."

I laughed.

As a child, I encountered the same concerns in respect to my own creative fantasies.

Mr. Selick noted that actors - while out of a physical role onscreen perhaps - still found voice-over work advantageous.

"There is no make-up artist, no need for wardrobe. It's a stress-free environment."

When I asked the visionary artist how he rustled up talent for his high-profile projects, he chuckled.

"My antenna goes up now and then. For instance, one night I was watching the Jon Stewart Show when I heard an actor's voice that was just right for a character."

It pays to go on talk shows, actors!

Selick's 1990 MTV original series - Slow Bob in the Lower Dimensions - won First Prize at the Ottawa Animal Festival and a Silver Hugo at the Chicago Film Festival.

Selick is probably best-known for directing "The Nightmare Before Christmas", (a Tim Burton project).

In - JAMES AND THE GIANT PEACH - Selick became known as quite the innovator when he merged the worlds of stop-motion and CG imagery with stylized live-action sequences.

The Texas Avery Animation award that will be bestowed upon him this evening will be presented by Reel Fx Entertainment.



http://www.julianayrs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment