.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Westwood...sculpture imprisoned! Art-lovers kept at bay...

Pablo Picasso sculpture


In a small park in Westwood - just next to the Federal Building - an enticing piece of sculpture beckoned me from afar.

Being a great fan of art in-the-round outdoors, blended in with the natural environment, I strolled over to explore the artist's rendering up-close and personal.

As I drew closer, I was taken aback when I spied a chain-link fence haphazardly erected around the circumference of it.

Odd, that!

A plaque bore an inscription, so I inched closer to peruse it, in the event there was a clue or two as to why the work of art appeared to be out-of-bounds to the art-loving public.

The message was somewhat ironic!

It read:

"Touch and Experience"

Was this some wacko's idea of a sick joke?

Or, just maybe, this was one of Yoko Ono's mind-fu** conceptual art pieces?

In the alternative - just maybe - I was a surprise guest on candid camera and my reactions were being filmed for a side-splitting episode on the subject of modern art!

In that event, I expect I was supposed to play along, climb over the barrier, and touch away.

Get all orgasmic over the enlightening cultural "experience"?

I waited a beat or two, but no camera crew scrambled out from behind the trees or from within any of the roomy SUV's parked on the street nearby.

All in all, it ended up being a rather hollow experience.

Kind of like viewing a Takashi Murakami flat painting!

Henry Moore sculpture

http://www.julianayrs.com

No comments:

Post a Comment