.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Cobacabana...day I talked back to director! OMG...








Last night I woke up at about four o'clock in morning and found myself drifting back in time to the olden- golden days when I used to scurry around town to nab bit parts in the Film & Televsion industry.

For some inexplicable reason, a brief stint on the TV Movie - "Copacabana" (an adaptation of Manilow's hit song)- flooded my mind with hilarious memories.

Like "Lucy" - who was always trying to break into show biz - I was always get rooked into some fly-by-night production, or scam, which I can reflect on now and laugh heartily about.

If you recall, Manilow - who started out as a back-up pianist for chanteuse Bette Midler at the Men's Continental Baths in NYC - wrote the lyrics and music for "Copacabana" with partners Jack Feldman and Bruce Sussman (a catchy tune which debuted on Billboard's Magazine's Top 40 Chart on July 7th, 1978).

"Copacabana" is also known as "Copacabana (At the Copa)".

Manilow nabbed a Grammy Award for "Copa" in February 1979.

The popular crooner was approached one day - although I am not familiar with the specific background details (how the project came about)  - to produce  a televison MOW based on the storyline of the song.

Just like in the pop hit, the TV production featured  two main characters - Lola (her name was Lola, remember?) - and Tony (her lover).

Manilow and his co-writers -  Bruce Sussman and Jack Feldman - expanded the idea with additional songs and intriguing plot twists suggested by the song.

If you recall, at a climatic moment, a character is shot.

This is where I come in!

I was cast as a glorified extra (in a special bit!) - along with another actor - to dash out  on the dance floor and apprehend the gunman.

The scene was rehearsed quite strenuously and required exact timing that evening for two reasons.

For starters, the scene was being shot with dazzling special effects (and a stop-action camera) that was difficult and costly to set up.

But, there was a bigger dilemma looming on the horizon.

The production was fast-approaching "golden time".

When a company shoots long hours beyond the regular schedule - and the actors are not fed - they are entitled to steep overtime pay.

Once the regular hours have elapsed - the performers start receiving time-and-a-half - then double-time - also known as golden time.

So, it was imperative that the cast and crew get the shot in one take!

In Hollywood that's generally impossible (unless Clint Eastwood is at the helm).

So, the big moment arrived, and everyone on the stage was all keyed-up and waiting for the director to yell "action".

Unfortunately, because the camera was running, the director was forced to give a visual cue to the two of us (in the wings).

Once the director's hand gave the signal, we were supposed to dart across the stage, and drag the shooter away.

Unfortunately, shortly after the shot was rolling, I suddenly noticed that the director changed his position on the sidelines on the sound stage.

A large exotic palm tree was now blocking him from view.

In a panic, and unable to alert the director, I elected to keep my eye on my partner in the scene - and take my all-important cue - from him.

Suddenly, he lurched forward onto the stage, so I assumed the cue had been given.

Wrong!

He was so nervous that he jumped-the-gun.

And, the director was forced to scream "cut".

At this point there was quite a bit of cursing - and ranting and raving - falling on my virgin ears!

On the heels of that tirade, a slew of nasty comments followed, obviously intended for my partner and me.

I don't know whatever possessed me, but all-of-a-sudden, I cried out from my position across the room.

Sir!

Suddenly, there was  dead silence, as an eerie pall fell over the set.

I could imagine what everyone in that room was collectively thinking at the moment.

OMG!

He talked back to the director.

I continued unscathed.

"You changed your position, Sir. That palm tree was obscuring my view, so I wasn't able to visually catch your cue."

The silence was so load that it was deafening.

"Surprisingly, I wasn't tossed off the lot on my a**."

Without skipping a beat, the director shifted gears.

"Okay. Let's go for another take."

Whew!

I thought I would never eat lunch in this town again!


No comments:

Post a Comment