.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, May 16, 2010

711...Las Vegas store overcharges tourists! Fails to honor posted prices...







The desert heat has been so intense today, that I have been constantly gasping for air as a result of dry mouth!

Was there a quick remedy?

Dunno!

But, I dashed into 711 on my trek back to my Hotel to try to rustle up something.

One product claimed to have little beads of quick-acting ingredients that "burst" in the mouth to trigger instant relief.

So, at $1.39 a pop, I thought I'd give it a shot.

When I handed over the little miracle box to the cashier or scanning, he informed me I owed $1.69.

Huh?

I asked the man with the cautious demeanor if he charged me tax, so I could fathom the discrepancy in the price.

"No. The price is $1.39."

At this point, I noted that the sales tag said it was $1.39.

Oh, he was a sly deceptive one, alright.

"That's for the item below it," he responded without skipping-a-beat.

Sure that I was correct, I noted that I was going to go back, to double-check the price.

Understandably, his eyes went wide!

I strolled back and scanned the shelf.

Uh-huh!

The item below my selection was also $1.39.

The package of gum above both selections was $1.39, too.

I hadn't screwed up by any stretch of the imagination.

By now, a couple of people in the store recognized me, and they all stood staring in my direction as I strode back down the aisle to report the results of my mini-investigation (!).

"Sir, the price is $1.39. You need to get your prices straight."

For starters, overcharging an individual, amounts to theft (doesn't it?).

In this instant case, it may even be a case of a deliberate conspiracy to rip-off consumers.

For example, I couldn't help but notice that when the cashier collected the money for customer  purchases, he rarely gave a receipt unless asked.

Is this unscrupulous employee pocketing the difference without his boss being any-the-wiser?

Notwithstanding, it should be noted that in California we have a law that stipulates a store owner must sell the item to the customer for the price posted on the shelf.

Doesn't Nevada have such a safeguard to protect consumers from deceptive business practices, theft, and fraud?

Or, do the City Officials take the position that tourists are fair game?

News at 11!


No comments:

Post a Comment