.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Celebrity...Sarah Palin & I have something in common! Autograph, please...


Fame!

 



Now, I'm beginning to fully understand what talk show hosts mean, when they probe their celebrity guests as to whether they can still go "out".

Of course, heartthrobs like Justin Bieber get mobbed on sight, heightening the possibility that the pint-sized performer might get crushed in a madcap rush.

Even famous people - of a lesser degree of visability - encounter awkward or unsettling moments when they stray alone into the real world.

Frankly, it wasn't until I roared into Vegas a few days ago, that it dawned on me that the curse of fame had descended upon me, too.

For some inexplicable reason, as quick as a wink, my mug has become instantly recognizable among the masses which startles and amazes me.

I'm not starring in my own night-time drama, after all.

Not yet, at least!

Say, what about a reality show featuring my blog?

Wonders never cease!

But, back to my tale of debauchery and fame.

When I am sitting in traffic these days - a thousand eyes from all vantage points turn in my direction - and I am forced to twiddle my thumbs and act nonchalantly for sanity's sake until the frigging light changes!

In fast-food take-out joints, a sort-of sleeping paralysis takes hold, when  the patrons learn of my identity one by one.

After a man and his wife spied me on the street yesterday, the lady looked back and hesitated.

"Should  I say something," she wondered aloud in a slight whisper.

Needless to say, I moved on.

I wasn't up to a close encounter of the third kind.

One of the funniest incidents occurred at McDonalds over the weekend.

As I noted in a previous post, the Wi-Fi was down at my Hotel, so I dashed out with computer in hand to avail myself of the free access at an outlet just across from the Sahara Hotel.

As this locaton, however, there was only one plug available for patrons.

So, I plunked down - plugged in - and tuned out.

As I was in the midst of polishing a paragraph, I had a burning sensation that someone's eyes were fixed tightly on me.

When I looked up, I was startled to find myself eyeball-to-eyeball with a motorist.

Uh-huh.

Turns out the drive-thru order station was just a few inches beyond my comfy perch on the other side of the picture window.

Without fail, every few minutes or so - when a hungry driver pulled up to order fries and a burger  - the scenario would start up all over again ad nauseam.

On each occasion, I slumped lower and lower in my chair, in a clandestine effort to hide my identity.

Later, I kicked myself.

I suppose I should have crafted a sign in an elegant script and offered up my autograph at $5.00 a pop.

Kidding!

One morning a twenty-something male actually followed me for about three blocks.

But, if he thought he was "tailing" me without my knowledge, he was dead-wrong.

I took a course in private investigations and was taught quite a few cool skills that come in handy to this day.

It is particularly disconcerting when I am lost in thought (reflecting on the right turn of a phrase for a post perhaps ) and it suddenly becomes painfully obvious - that I am being scrutinized from all-manner of folks from myriad walks of life within a twenty-or-thirty-foot perimeter (and then some).

OMG!

Did I appear to be talking to myself?

I have noticed these days that a few Latinos stare at me, probably because I gave the nod to the Nevada Governor, to sign into law the controversial Immigration Reform Bill.

You betcha.

Sarah Palin and I finally have one thing in common.

We're both on the Latino "hit" list.

Sometimes the behavior of some folks astounds me.

For example, I was on a shuttle bus provided by a Hotel one fine day, when I stood up and started to exit the bus.

I suddenly noticed  a woman - in a seat just forward - waiting for me to pass by first.

"Go ahead, Miss," I instructed politely.

A curious scenario also unfolds when I approach an open door around the same time others are about to enter it, too.

The strangers suddenly acquiesce (slow down) to allow me to go first.

I scoff at the notion that I deserve preferential treatment for some inexplicable reason.

I'll let you in on a secret, though.


The whole experience is quite exhausting.


Because I am constantly in the public eye, I am forced to maintain an energy level on par with my image, which can be a pretty draining charade to keep up in spite of the fact I am a robust man physically, mentally, and spiritually.


At times, I feel like I am walking in a dream world, when the madding crowd gazes on.

There is a thin line between reality and illusion, after all.


I try to stay grounded and down-to-earth for survival's sake.


With the knowledge that God appears in the humblest of places, of course!




Bellweather trends!

No comments:

Post a Comment