.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Monday, December 21, 2009

Highway 15 South...horrific traffic accident stuns motorists! Drive safely this holiday...


Highway 15 visibility clear on straight-stretch of road





Just outside of Las Vegas - about forty miles down Highway 15 - the taffic suddenly slowed  to a crawl.

For a moment, I thought I was approaching the border check for fruits and plant, but that was not the case.

Then,  a slew of vehicles and their frustrated drivers, were forced to inch along the highway for about twenty or twenty-five minute before learning the awful truth.

At one point, when an officer signalled for the outside lane to merge with the other, motorists suddenly caught site of two totally-wrecked cars strewn along the highway.

The accident was horrific!

Both vehicles had gaping tears in their steel frames and were twisted and torn almost beyond recognition.

At one point, a squad car pulled up next to me on the shoulder, and pulled to an abrupt stop.

The shock registering on the officer's face said it all.

Judging by the way the other law enforcement officers were acting on duty at the site - they hadn't seen the likes of this in recent days - either.

It is difficult to fathom how such a terrible smash-up could occur on this stretch of the highway; after all, the road was relatively straight, the pavement dry and well-paved, and there weren't any obstructions to confuse any relatively competent driver at the wheel.

I surmise that one vehicle travelling at high speed  must have attempted to switch lanes, but failed to notice a speeding auto  in the "blind" spot.

Unless one of the dirvers was impaired, of course.

That would be a different scenario entirely.

Although my video-camera was in the vehicle, I passed on capturing the event on tape, out of respect for the victims.

For me, there was an eerie twist.

When I woke up at the crack of dawn in Las Vegas this morning,  my plan was simple:  zip into McDonald's, gobble down a light a snack, check my e-mail, then hop on the highway to ensure I'd be home in Los Angeles early enough to catch up on a few chores.

But, for some inexplicable reason, my "inner voice" advised me against hopping on the feeway right away.

Over the years I've learned one thing:  if I don't listen to the "voice" something will go awry.

So, I dawdled about the strip for about twenty minutes, until the "message" was loud and clear.

"You can drive home now."

In this instant case, it appears that the warning may have saved my life.

Had I left a few minutes earlier as planned, I may have been involved in that crash on the highway.

In the final analysis, I guess the Lord still has plans for me!

And I, a message, for you.

Drive safely over the yuletide season, eh?





No comments:

Post a Comment