.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Sleeping disorders...when it's time for intervention! If you don't snooze, 'ya lose...



Well, I have a confession to make.

I have been suffering from a sleeping disorder.

Silly me, I didn't seek any treatment.

Instead, I struggled with the nightmare, not even sure it was a disorder!

A few weeks ago, I reported in a blog post that I was on the way home from the Dallas Film Festival, when I nodded off at the wheel.

A few minutes later, had it not been for a rough shoulder at the side of the road that jarred me awake when the two side wheels ht the rumble, I may not have been around to tell this tale!

I assumed that I was overworked, not getting enough rest, and needed to slow down a bit and smell the flowers.

The truth of the matter is that for many months now I have found it difficult to sleep at night.

In fact, my prevailing insomnia, triggered my late-night prowls at local midnight screenings of cult classics such as The Big Lebowski, Shawn of the Dead, and Reefer Madness.

I half-expected that a late night show in a cramped little theatre might hasten the cobwebs of sleep - at which point - I could stumble home and drop into bed to savor a peaceful night's rest.

No, Sir!

About every ten minutes (it seems) I'd wake up and glance at my watch to check what hour it was.

Is it time to get up, yet, I'd utter to myself.

Occasionally I'd down some cough syrup to knock me out for a least an hour or so until its effects wore off, or guzzle a beer or two, so I could slip off in a brief stupor eventually.

Fortunately, one night I met up with a pretty young couple at a glitzy gala in Dallas, with the answer to all my foggy dilemmas.

As it turns out, the outgoing blond with the winning smile was not a model or actress as I originally thought - but rather - an intern at a sleep clinic.

Shortly after we met, we were deep in conversation about sleep disorders, as her toy-boy wandered off.

"Some people have to wear a special mask to ensure they are breathing properly at night. If there is a loss of oxygen while they're sleeping, it may end up being fatal. They could have a stroke or even a heart attack."

Of course, she was referring to "Sleep Apnea" which is a disorder of breathing during sleep.

Typically, the condition is accompanied by loud snoring.

There are two major kinds of sleep apnea.

Obstructive Sleep Apnea

This is the most common type and is caused by an obstruction in the throat during sleep.

It is characterized by repetitive episodes of upper airway obstruction that occur during sleep and is usually associated with a reduction in blood oxygen saturation.

In other words, the airway becomes obstructed at several possible sites. The upper airway, for example, can be obstructed by excess tissue in the airway, large tonsils, or a large tongue. The problem may also arise from airway muscles which are constantly relaxing and collapsing when the an individual is asleep.

Another site of obstruction can be in the nasal passages.

There is some speculation that the structure of the jaw and airway can be a factor in sleep apnea.
Bed partners may notice pauses approximately 10 to 60 seconds between loud snores.

The narrowing of the upper airway can be a result of several factors including inherent physical characteristics, excess weight, and alcohol consumption before sleep.

Central Sleep Apnea

This type is caused by a delay in the signal from the brain to breath.

It is characterized by the cessation of breath due to a lack of effort in breathing during sleep.

Central sleep apnea is not as common as OSA and is more difficult to diagnose. Typically it is due to some neuromuscular problem but other sources could be the cause.

With both obstructive and central apnea the subject must wake up briefly to breathe, sometimes hundreds of times during the night. Usually there is no memory of these brief awakenings.

The symptoms caused me to sit up and take notice.

According to medical information I obtained in my research on the affliction, an individual suffering from this sleeping disorder is very tired during the course of the day (moi!), may have difficulty concentrating (!), experience restless sleep (uh-huh!), and be prone to bouts of insomnia (Bingo!).

But I was truly astounded when the nurse noted that I could determine the extent and nature of my own sleep disorder by simply spending a night at a sleep clinic where skilled technicians would monitor my "rem sleep" patterns, "breathing", bodily functions, etc.

A sleep test (polysomnography) helps diagnose sleep apnea and the specific type.

There are two kinds of polysomnograms.

An overnight polysomnography test involves monitoring brain waves, muscle tension, eye movement, respiration, oxygen level in the blood and audio monitoring of snoring, gasping, etc.

The second kind of polysomnography test is a home monitoring test.

A sleep technologist hooks the patient up to all the electrodes and instructs the individual how to record sleep with a computerized polysomnograph that is taken home and returned the following day.

Both are painless tests that are usually covered by insurance.

So, I booked an appointment for the in-clinic option.

What an intriguing experience that turned out to be.

I signed in at approximately 10 pm and was promptly led to a well-appointed bedroom where a King-size bed with plush pillows, crisp clean sheets, and an eye-catching bedspread in rich colors, beckoned me.


Then, a technician began the arduous task of attaching a dizzying array of electrodes to my scalp, earlobes, legs, you name it.

Overhead, a camera focused on the bed where I would be (hopefully) snoozing to ensure technicians captured any physical irregularities in my sleep patterns during the course of the night.

The following morning, I was allowed to zip out for breakfast, but required to return an hour later, so that the lab could monitor four naps slated at various intervals to determine the depth of rem sleep.

At one point, the staff urged that I go for a strident walk around the courtyard downstairs; after all, they were afraid that if I was laying down on the bed before the "nap" sessions were documented, that I might fall asleep unexpectedly and thwart their efforts to accurately reflect my sleep patterns.

I felt quite the fool sauntering into the snack shop on the first floor with a pieces of foil paper stuck to my scalp (did they think I was getting some highlights?) and a ubiquitous monitor in my hand.

"Oh, they're used to that downstairs," the clinic staffed laughed in unison.

Actually, I managed to drum up business for the clinic, while stretching my legs.

After a woman spied me in my get-up near the front entrance, she approached me with a multitude of questions about the sleep clinic and how it worked.

Apparently, her father was having problems with snoring and an inability to breath properly, and was inclined to go my route.

In my instant case, the disorder had been taking its toll on me, without me being none the wiser.

Of course, now that I look back over the events of the past few months, I understand that unexplained erratic behaviour was due to a lack of sleep

For instance, on occasion - shortly after I purchased a cup of tea at Starbucks - I would invariably doze off in an armchair within minutes of plunking myself down.

What an embarrassment.

When I came to a few seconds later, I'd catch startled patrons staring at me in disbelief.

Sorry, folks!

Sometimes when I was penning a post, I inputted the wrong date for an upcoming event.

For instance, instead of posting a date in April one day, I inadvertently keyed it in for August. And, on more than one occasion, I mixed up names or left out an important introductory phrase which would have made sense of the piece.

More troubling was my tendency to leave my eyeglasses behind ad nauseam or misplace small items.

Big ones, too.

One more than one occasion - I'm embarrassed to admit - I parked and later was unable to locate my vehicle because I didn't take note of where I left it.

Fortunately, I have a sense of humor, so I don't let it get me down.

If my readers or neighbours get the impression I am forgetful - or a ditz - I just laugh it off.

After I met with the doctor this week, I was relieved to hear that my sleep disorder didn't involve a lack of oxygen to the brain.

Thankfully!

Now, I won't have to wear one of those face masks (not unlike skiiers wear on the slopes) at night when I climb beneath the sheets.

In order to keep my condition in check, and until a sleep aid can be approved by the pharmaceutical company and my insurance, the doc has prescribed a drug to promote wakefulness.

In the hand-out material, the maker notes that no one is quite sure how the "stimulant" works.

Yikes!

In addition to promoting wakefulness, the medicine may promote psychoactive (!) and euphoric effects (!) alerations in mood (!), perception (!), thinking (!) , and feelings (!).

Whoa nellie!

The pamphlet also notes that because the presciption is a controlled substance, it may be a target for people who abuse medicines or street drugs.

I am cautioned to keep it in a safe place.

Maybe when the prescription to promote night sleep is taken on a daily basis, there will not be any further need for a daily boost of energy from Doctor feel-good, eh?

Personally, I don't warm up to this at all.

My body is quite sensitive to cold medicines, and alcohol, and what-have-you.

On the few occasions when I've share a joint with friends, I got lost in the design on the carpet, no kidding.

Just as we were about to end our discussion, the doctor casually noted off-the-cuff that I may have narcolepsy.

But, the jury is out on that.

I chuckled.

My thoughts drifted to the film - My Own Private Idaho - which starred up-and-coming actors Keanu Reeves and River Phoenix.

River's character suffered from narcolepsi.

Without warning, he'd fall asleep at the side of the road, while they were hitch-hiking.

At least River had hunky Keanu to watch over him 'til he snapped out of it!

Any takers?




No comments:

Post a Comment