.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Las Vegas...Omelet House a dining disaster (Plaza Hotel)! Cold tasteless food! Incompetent Staff! Bad service!


There wasn't any cream for the coffee, the waiter was a dishevelled loser, and the food was stone cold and tasteless.

Yup!

Instead of sauntering into the Omelet House at the Plaza Hotel, I should have strolled over to McDonald's for a tasty sausage biscuit and a mouth-watering McCafe Moca java.

Or, in the alternative, at least high-tailed it over to ever-popular Dunkin' Doughnuts.

Maybe then - as Jagger would say - I would have gotten some satisfaction (digestive at least)

I obviously fell prey to the ubiquitous signs plastered all over the Freemont Strip in Las Vegas which touted the breakfast offerings at the Omelet House (Plaza Hotel) as something "extra-special".

The truth of the matter?

Breakfast at the off-kilter screwball "Omelet House" was a total wash-out (a cuisine diaster).

From the get-go,  it was obvious things were amiss when I first sashayed into the foyer of the eatery (at the Plaza Hotel) which appeared to be frequented mostly by tourists (or the occasional gambler) in town for a day or two without any ties to the local community.

For starters, there was a haphazard line that snaked halfway out the door, that didn't appear to be getting any shorter in spite of the long wait.

Talk about a lack of organization!

After waiting for about five minutes, a waitress with all the personality of a cold fish, approached me with a menu in hand.

After giving me a sidewise glance, the little Asian spitfire motioned for me to follow her to a table, where she sniffed that a waiter would be with me shortly.

Fat chance!

I should have bet on those odds, eh?

About five or six minutes later a befuddled-looking male waiter dashed up slightly out-of-breath to determine if  I was interested in a cup of coffee or tea.

After nodding in the affirmative, I opened up the menu and perused it for a moment or two.

When the dough-boy returned with the java, I noticed there wasn't any cream in hand, in spite of the fact the staff neglected to stock each two-seater table in advance of the morning rush.

In response to my request for some "moo" juice, he promised to return with it in a flash.


When a few minutes passed, and he was a no-show, I got up from my seat and strode over to the counter (near the kitchen) and asked a couple of the waitresses if they could oblige me.

They stared at me dumbfounded for a second, then proceeded to ignore me!

A male waiter from another busy section of the restaurant gazing on piped up.

"Creamers are on the table."

"Not on mine," I responded without batting-an-eye.

My original waiter returned, overheard the conversation, and promised to deliver up the coveted cream.

A few minutes later, he stormed into the room with a cardboard box, he was busy trying to pry the top off of.

When he managed to flip open one flap, a dozen or so creamers flew out of the box every which way, but none my direction (go figure!).

He scooped up a couple, dropped them on my table, then asked if he could take my order for breakfast.

As this juncture, I thought it wise to order something simple (and easy) to prepare.

Scrambled eggs, wheat toast, and bacon should be a snap to rustle up, eh?

After I placed the order, I began to busy myself with a bit of paperwork that I needed to catch up on.

When the food did not arrive in about ten minutes, though, I got a bit antsy.

How long does it take to scramble an egg or butter two slices of toast?

When I peered around the room, I couldn't help but notice that a few tourists - who obviously did not speak English - were facilitating hand gestures (!)  to get the attention of the on-duty staff.

At this point, a couple of frustrated patrons actually pointed to photographs on the menu to underscore the breakfast orders they were waiting on, but to no avail.

The waiter or waitress - whichever the case might be - would simply nod in the affirmative and dash off exasperated.

I finally motioned to my own waiter - when I caught sight of him - to come over to my table.

From across the room he hollered:

"Yes. One oment, Sir."

True to his word, he did stride over alright, with my bill in his hand!

"I haven't been served my breakfast," I lamented in a slightly annoyed tone of voice.

"You haven't?"  he asked increduously.

So, he turned on his worn-down heels, and hurried off to ask the Chef to conjure up something fast, I expect.

When he returned a few minutes later, and slapped the plate down on the table, I quickly sampled a few morsels right away.

Stone cold!

How long had this food been sitting in the kitchen?

It certainly wasn't cooked "fresh" within the past few moments (not even tossed in a microwave!).

I stood, informed the waiter the food was cold, and stormed out.

Yup!

My stomach growled!

I was so upset, I could have wrung that waiter's neck for spoiling my morning, for starters.

Then, I recalled a memorable quote from George Kaufman.

"Epitaph for a dead waiter - God finally caught his eye.”

Yup.

He'll get his just desserts one fine day.

Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment