.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Las Vegas...Review-Journal to raise newstand cost. Not worth paper printed on!




As I strolled in to the local grocer to snap up a steaming cup of hot java and the morning paper, the clerk informed that the cost of the Review-Journal was going up to seventy-five cents on July 1st.

Well, what is my savvy consumer response to that?

As Samuel Goldwyn once quipped,

"You can count me out!"

Nope, I won't be gleaning the news that's not fit to print, anymore.

No loss.

After all, recently I became frustrated with the daily for a couple of reasons.

The - um - journalists, for starters.

A few days ago one of their columnists - Doug Elfman - chose to take a swipe at pin-up gal - Pamela Anderson - on a very shaky premise which was a big turn off.

Notwithstanding, that kind of tabloid-style piffle should be left to the gossip mongers, not to a writer employed at what has been hailed as a reputable newspaper in Las Vegas.

In addition, I have found that their reporters go on ad nauseam about this 'n that, much to their detriment. Obviously, the Journal has a lot of excess space each edition - otherwise - why would the editors let these bozos expound on such fluff?

When I wrote for a major daily years ago, my editor gave me a great piece of advice: get to the point. I adhere to the principle to this day.

I was also shocked this past week at the arrogance of one of their reporters - Benjamin Spillman - who claims to toil in the business section of the paper.

He had the audacity to zip off an e-mail to me in response to a post I wrote a few days ago - assuming that because I chose not to mention a tidbit in the feature - that somehow my report was off. On the contrary.

His assumption that I was not familiar with a particular fact was way off-base too.

Not only was I aware of the item, but I chose not to include it in the feature, because the mainstream media had been all over the item like flies over sh**. More importantly, the tidbit was so old, it was turning grey with age.

I always endeavour to report on news that is current and fresh and of interest to my readers. Unlike reporters at the Review-Journal who rely on old archives to whip up a story, I am actually in-the-trenches getting the scoops. And, more often-that-not, get my news flashes to copy for my readership well ahead of the "competition".

Notwithstanding, it should be noted that a Managing Editor (with a reputable publication) posted a comment on one of a number of web sites my blog is fed to, and applauded me for a story - he asserted - was the best report on the subject he'd read in fifteen years.

Benjamin, you're out of your league.

Now, go scrape the egg off your face.

No comments:

Post a Comment