.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Albertson's...automated cashiers. Kinks to iron out & a peak into an uncertain future!




In the wee hours of the morning when staff at Albertson's are busy stocking shelves and taking inventory, customers are being urged to use the new "automated cashiers".

At first, the idea was a bit off-putting. What, no service with a smile?

This past week I ventured into the future and gave the new-fangled device a shot.

Fortunately, I started with a simple purchase. God only knows what may have transpired, otherwise.

First, pursuant to the instructions on the screen, I scanned a bottle of reduced-fat milk. Yeah, have to watch the old gut, 'ya know?

When I was asked to input the code for the next item or proceed to pay, I chose the latter option.

At this juncture, I was instructed to place my purchase in a bag.

However, when I sat the milk carton inside of the spacious sack, a rude message popped up on the screen and lamented - "object blocking area" - or something to that effect.

When I plucked the beverage from the open bag (which was neatly nestled into a device to frame it just so at the point of purchase) I was instructed to scan another item or hit the "finish and pay" button.

I tapped the screen to close the sale - at which point - I was given several pay options - debit, credit card, or cash.

Amazingly, when I slipped two crisp dollar bills into the slot, correct change jangled into a small change catch-all basin below the register.

Then, a receipt flew out of a groove, and landed squarely in my sweaty palm!

So, I trundled off with my milk in hand (sans bag) a little bemused by it all.

Would a more complex sale be a snap, too?

For instance, the purchase of produce would require that I input the price per pound, I expect. In that event, I guess shoppers would be wise to carry a pencil and paper around in their cart to jot those prices down.

I wonder, if I fudged on the numbers, would a siren go off to warn management and embarrass me in front of the other customers?

Something else I noticed, too. All the instructions were in medium-sized type way below the natural eyeline on the screen. So, at check out - if you needed glasses to read script - you'd be SOL if you left 'em at home or in the car.

In that event, you'd have to call for assistance, fer sure.

For the most part, it appeared to be a fairly painless experience.

But, I have to wonder...

As we start using automation in various areas of our daily lives, will we start to get lazy? Worse than that, is it wholly possibly that without daily use, we'll slowly lose our faculties to add, count change, or even communicate in idle chit-chat at whim in the check-out line?

Ultimately, will we be replaced one day, too?

Shudder the thought!

I like to think I am one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable.

Yeah, tell that to your boss!

Chuck Palahniuk once said,
"When did the future switch from being a promise to being a threat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment