.:[Double Click To][Close]:.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

3 Saisons...Canada Council funded film screens at local film festival! A bit violent, but potent filmmaking...


Now and then when I am on my treks around the Festival circuit, I happen across a Canadian filmmaker or two - down from the great white north - flogging their films in the U.S. Market.

Just this past week, when one short (My Inventions) screened, I was delighted to learn that the director was not only from Vancouver (Canada) but was also awarded a grant from a government agency to produce the project.

The monies were well-spent, since the documentary on inventor Nikola Tesla turned out a total gem.

Today, I was busy polishing a draft on a movie review, when I struck up a conversation with a young lady next to me at a bank of computers who plunked down to check her e-mail.

As it turned out, the articulate young actress was starring in a feature shot in Montreal which was given "seed" money from the Canada Council.

"3 Saisons" was gritty at times;  in fact, one theatre-goer in the Qestion & Answer session afterward, asked why there was so much violence in the opening scenes.

The director - Jim Donovan - noted that it was not a calculated scheme to make it commercial or mainstream.

"I felt those dramatic scenes were needed to drive the film forward."

The scenes in question crackled with such realism, that I found myself recoiling in horror, such was their impact on my psyche.

That's potent filmmaking.

In the film, two of the female characters are experiencing childbirth for the first time.

"My wife and I were having our first child, so there were a lot of emotions that bubbled up about that issue as we were writing the script."

Although the piece is basically fiction, it was inspired by personal events.

Maybe that is why it resonates with such truth.

The acting in the film is just phenomenal.

For instance, Carinne Leduc - the outgoing Quebecer who sidled up next to me - turned in a stunning seamless performance that was natural, gut-wrenching, and believable.

In fact, she won a best actress role for her portrayal of a troubled teen struggling for survival on the mean streets of the city.

To me, there was a distinctive aura to the film - a style that was somewhat "Canadian" in feel - if there is such a definable thing.

Donovan pointed out that maybe that was due to the fact it was shot in Montreal, and thus, has a distinctly European flavor to it.

"3 Saisons" was shot over three seasons.

When I bumped into Donovan and Ms. Leduc at a blow-out party last night, I was astounded to learn that the budget for the film was $35,000.00

The crew performed miracles, in my estimation.

For starters, the production values were remarkably rich and eye-catching in view of the paltry sum spent.

The talented ensemble of actors Donovan managed to sign on for the project must have been a Godsend.

"The actor who played my boyfriend (a real psycho on screen) is a stand-up comedian," Ms. Leduc disclosed to the rapt audience after the credits rolled.

That bit of information subsequently underscored to me just how talented that young man is.

In spite of the fact the character was far from his own reality base, he turned in a stellar performance that resonated with authenticity - and subsequently - touched the audience.

"Before the shoot started, we put on the wardrobe, then went into the street to get a feel for the characters in their environment."

Maybe that is why their characterizations rang so true on screen.

The cinematography was stunning!

In sum, 3 Saisons is worth the price of admission alone!

Catch it if you can.




No comments:

Post a Comment